Titanic's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nathan Lee Casteel

Hello everybody the Titanic's future isn't looking to good right now as you know we HAD the chance to SAVE it and failed to do so. But have you people ever heard that "We can do anything if we put our minds to it?" Well I have and I will NEVER give up on the Titanic. Now people are saying that "There is no way to Raise the Titanic" I know I argued w/ you people in the past. But I know there is a way to Raise it, but the thing is TIME. We got to take our time and I know that we can Raise it if we all work together

Nathan

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
::sigh:: Here we go again.

Wait...when did we lose our chance to save Titanic? I'm assuming before she hit the 'berg.

Adam

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Dear God Nathan, i wasted my time because of the nonsense you posted. Do know what being 2 1/2 miles on the ocean floor for 90 years does to a ship????? It makes it really really frail. The Titanic will desenegrate on its own pretty soon so do you know what would happen if we tried to reaise it? It would make it desenegrate. Your ruining the Titanic if you try to raise it. The Titanic belongs on the ocean floor. And thats were its been for 90 years and thats where it will hopefully allways be unless some fool tried to raise it and ruined it. Nathan, while technology is unbelieveable today, we still don't have the technology to raise the Titanic, and if we did we shouldn't raise it. It's not just the Titanic that sits right there. It is 1200 people's grave..(300 were recovered). If they would have had technology to go there in 1912 you would have found bodies littered all around and even in the Titanic. So by raising it your disturbing the final resting place of many people. But wait Nathan....we CAN'T raise it. There is no way. Titanic will be long gone before the technology is there to be able to perform such a project.
Quit dreamin pal.
Adam

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Oh and by the way Nathan...to add what I already said....This thread doesn't even belong here. Nothing in your post has anything to do with Titanic on TV. The whole reason they are divided into sections is so each section is specific on a topic. This belongs in Discovery/Salvage/exploration

Jan 31, 2001
Nathan,

As Adam described to you, it is literally impossible to raise the Titanic. I will go into no further detail as he did a fine of job of explaining the reasons why this cannot be done.

However, I have a question for you: Why do you want to see the Titanic raised? I mean, think for a minute, man: Even if it was possible to raise the wreck, what would you do with it? She is only a shell of her former self, and is doing much better resting on the bottom of the North Atlantic than she would be on the surface. What would you do, go for a stroll on the Boat Deck? I think not, my friend!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Nathan, it ain't gonna happen. No way, no how. The wreck is too far gone after 90 years and even if she was pristine, her structural integrity alone is hopelessly compromised.

As we have hashed over this befor, you may want to read the following threads for more information. Go to;

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5932/27737.html?1023497192

And

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5932/11487.html?1021481275

The realities are harsh, but they just don't go away.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Oh for pity's sake. Let's try and put this as simply as possible, and please excuse the "shouting".

SHE'S GONE. SHE'S NOT COMING BACK. END OF STORY!!!

R

Richard K. Mason

Dear Nathan:

We can all dream about living our fantasies out the "Clive Cussler Way", but let's face it.....
going to the moon was far easier than raising a broken ship that has lain under water for 90 years. Don't you think that if anything, science should try to develop a way to preserve what remains under the sea rather than destroy it by attempting to give it new life? I know this may sound stupid, but if God wanted the ship to see the light of day again, it would have happened by now. At least we know she's still there, like the Britannic, the Lusitania, the Andrea Doria, and the Empress of Ireland, the Titanic needs to remain un-disturbed.

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Matthew Lips......I excuse the shouting. I think we are all on the verge of shouting after that nonsense is brought up!
Adam

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Thanks Adam! Now maybe someone can tell me what this topic is doing under "Titanic On TV" in the first place?!

Aug 29, 2000
Yes, thanks guys for appreciating that point. Some meaningful discussion on the advisability of raising large portions of the hull, the conservation and exhibition of same could take place on the Discovery/Salvage/ Exhibit thread under topics. There is also a thread on The Big Piece which includes some of the points raised here. Shall we move on over and establish camp there?

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
I consider this thread case closed Shelly. Theres simply nothing more to be discussed. Titanic can't be raised and thats final.
Regards,
Adam

Aug 29, 2000
Actually Adam, that was an attempt at a little civil diplomacy on my part. Threads will be closed after moderators and Phil decide they serve no useful purpose. They are sometimes sent to a Recycle Bin, but rarely ever deleted. This is a safeguard, and a wise one, to prevent one person, who may have a strong opinion on a subject from wielding sole power on what is viewable to the general board membership. The operative word in my post above was "meaningful"- it is entirely possible to have something of value to contribute regarding hull salvage, conservation and possible exhibition. This is an objective observation and has no bearing on my personal opinion as to whether the ship could or should be raised. My personal feeling on the matter, for the record, is that the expense would be frightful, the preservation of even one large section prohibitive, the benefits of the operation, as far as providing any useful purpose, negligible- and the feasibility of bringing up anything in such an advanced state of deterioration nothing short of miraculous. Others may choose to differ, and any intelligent counterpoint should find a venue for expression.

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Shelly I know what you were trying to do. That was a good idea but the point I'm trying to make is talking about raising Titanic is a waste of time.

May 8, 2001
Nathan. I know you mean well, but it is amazing that no thought to cost, danger, or reason has been given to this. A dream is one thing, and harsh reality is another. It can continue to be YOUR dream, but the rest of us will reserve our rights to dream of other things.
I would like to point your attention to a recovery effort that is going on AS WE SPEAK. Pay close attention to how difficult it is with divers in 220 feet of water, and more importantly, I want you to realize that once this very historical piece is recovered, the conservationalists say it will take TEN YEARS to fully decontaminate it. AND THIS IS A SMALL PIECE!!! http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/02monitor/monitor.html

Colleen

N

Nathan Lee Casteel

Ok people whatever you say I will shut up and speak no more on this topic. Have a good night

Nathan

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Nathan what I am most curious about is three things
1)What is your plan where you are 100 percent sure raising the Titanic could go to the surface without disengrating(as far as I know there isn't one and I doubt you have one)
2)Where are you gonna get the money to do this?
3)How can you live with yourself by raising peoples graves?
Adam

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Uhhh...Adam, may I make a friendly suggestion? Since Nathan has decided to withdraw from this field of battle, perhaps you would do well to the same. There's a lot to be said for the wisdom of "Letting sleeping dogs lie."
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.