Titanic's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathan. I know you mean well, but it is amazing that no thought to cost, danger, or reason has been given to this. A dream is one thing, and harsh reality is another. It can continue to be YOUR dream, but the rest of us will reserve our rights to dream of other things.
I would like to point your attention to a recovery effort that is going on AS WE SPEAK. Pay close attention to how difficult it is with divers in 220 feet of water, and more importantly, I want you to realize that once this very historical piece is recovered, the conservationalists say it will take TEN YEARS to fully decontaminate it. AND THIS IS A SMALL PIECE!!! http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/02monitor/monitor.html

Colleen

N

Nathan Lee Casteel

Ok people whatever you say I will shut up and speak no more on this topic. Have a good night

Nathan

Nathan what I am most curious about is three things
1)What is your plan where you are 100 percent sure raising the Titanic could go to the surface without disengrating(as far as I know there isn't one and I doubt you have one)
2)Where are you gonna get the money to do this?
3)How can you live with yourself by raising peoples graves?
Adam

Uhhh...Adam, may I make a friendly suggestion? Since Nathan has decided to withdraw from this field of battle, perhaps you would do well to the same. There's a lot to be said for the wisdom of "Letting sleeping dogs lie."
wink.gif

Yes Michael I understood he was through with it and I am done with it after this last post. I just thought he would still check up on it and I wanted him to ask himself thosequestions.
I can't get anything more from this thread.
Adam

L

lewis beacham

She is not coming up!!!!!!!!!!
She is stuck fast in the mud and we only have like 20 30 years left before she disapears off the face of the earth.
By raising her you will only fasten the process of deteriation!!!!

Place a plaque recover some artifacts BUT LEAVE THE SHIP ALONE!!!!!!!!!

She is fine where she is

Raise the Britannic instead as she is in better condition.

from
Lewis Beacham 14

The brittanic isn't in that much better shape actually. It looks it, but would probably break apart from the stress of righting her even if it was feasible.
90+ years in salt water has damaged both beyond recovery imho. Get important historical artifacts from them, but leave the ships themselves alone as was said earlier.

L

lewis beacham

Hi richard

You may be right about the Brittanic not being as strong as she once was but their may be ways round it.

1) take a sample of steel from the gutted bow section and test its strength if not strong enough leave well alone.

2) If they can raise a 400 year old war ship (mary rose)i am sure they may be able to raise an 80-90 year old vessel

but you may be right in your awnsers.

also it would be one heck of a bill and i really dont think the govenment would lend us an awful lot (1p probably) LOL.

From
lewis beacham

P.S Have you heard about the current restoration of the Nomadic in Belfast? she was a passenger tender for the Titanic (if you did not know already)

The mary rose was essentially preserved in the mud which helped keep the wood from being totally destroyed.
There's nothing at all to help protect Titanic, and even if there was, it's alot easier to raise a smallish wooden vessel in shallow water than it would be to raise a very heavy metal ship in 2 pieces from over 2 miles deep in the ocean. (Or even one a few hundred feet down for that matter)
Like you said, it's possible, but the reward would never match the cost imho.

L

lewis beacham

Hi richard

I think you may have miss understood me
I was on about the brittanic, though you are abselutly right about the titanic not being protected as the Mary rose was. The brittanic may be more sound than we think it is just a case of steel samples from the wreck, Money and permission from simon mills (i think his name is)he owns the brittanic.

From
Lewis

(P.S Sorry about my awful spelling mistakes)

Your spelling mistakes are no worse than mine...lol
I do agree that the Brittanic **MIGHT** be in somewhat better shape metalwise than Titanic, (Aside from obvious damage that is) But the safe bet is that it wouldn't be able to withstand the stresses involved in salvaging it. No doubt there are people here that know FAR more about it than i ever will though so hopefully one or two can chime in if it would be feasible or not.
Just my .002 tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.