Titanic's Last Secrets

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I've received an e-mail from Richie Kohler.com, that a book written by Brad Matsen titled Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatteron and Richie Kohler, is due out this fall. According to the e-mail, it will be "detailing our exciting discoveries on the worlds greatest shipwreck, the amazing coverups and new forensic information that has changed what ideas about the sinking."

It can be pre-ordered through Amazon.

Sally Butler

Mar 28, 2003
'exciting discoveries'
'amazing coverups'
'new forensic information that has changed what ideas about the sinking'

Oh, here we go again.
This will be another book to have like Tim Foecke's, What Really Sank The Titanic: New Forensic Discoveries.
I wonder if all these guys get together once a year and see what theories they can come up with.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I wonder if all these guys get together once a year and see what theories they can come up with.<<

Until recently, some of us were doing just that. What you're seeing here is nothing less then the fruit of some of that work. I may be waiting a spell until I order it, but I'll be adding this to my list. A word of caution though: Promoters tend to claim there's more in a book then what is really there and more even then the authors intended. That doesn't mean it won't be worthwhile. The Lone Wolf team of Chatterton and Kohler have done some important work.

Sally Butler

Mar 28, 2003
(quote) A word of caution though: Promoters tend to claim there's more in a book then what is really there and more even then the authors intended.

Not a truer word spoken Michael.
If these 'Promoters' were to be believed, Titanic would have fallen apart and split in two at Southampton.
I don't undertsand why they use such 'terms' when they know it's deceptive and missleading promotion.
Tim hit the nail on the head when he mentioned his book is not selling well. I believe people have become tired of all the theories.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I don't undertsand why they use such 'terms' when they know it's deceptive and missleading promotion.<<

Because historically at least, it tends to sell the book. I don't think anybody is becoming tired of new theories but a little candor in promoting what's actually there rather then promising what even the authors aren't saying would be a nice touch.

T

Timothy Trower

I dunno, Sally -- why don't you just wait to read the book before damning it?

Mar 3, 1998
The e-mail sent out from RichieKohler.com sounds like the usual promotional stuff. I wouldn't get too spun up over it...it's just an advert.

The book is due out in October 2008. I was given a pre-publication copy of the book to read, so I feel that I can speak with some authority on it. Anyone who saw "Titanic's Final Moments: Missing Pieces," "Titanic's Achilles Heel" and "Titanic's Tragic Sister" already knows how the story ultimately turns out. In telling the story, however, the reader will gain additional insight into the 2005 Titanic and 2006 Britannic expeditions conducted by Lone Wolf Documentary Group. If that's your cup of tea, then you will probably want to buy the book.

Chapter 3 is entitled, "Titaniacs," and provides an amusing look at the Titanic online forums -- and the strange creatures who inhabit said forums -- from the perspective of an outsider. That chapter, in particular, is going to be embraced by everyone here. :)

There are a few historical errors in the text and at least one photo is mis-captioned. I hope that Brad will have these corrected before the book is published. All the photos are properly credited.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
Addendum to my post above: The author points out that the copy I read was an uncorrected proof. Many mistakes, including the mis-captioned photo, have been corrected since.

Parks

T

Timothy Trower

Parks posted "Addendum to my post above: The author points out that the copy I read was an uncorrected proof. Many mistakes, including the mis-captioned photo, have been corrected since."

I hope that is the case. I believe that my copy is of the same printing as yours is, Parks. There are a number of smaller errors and some others (larger) that have me scratching my head with wonderment.

I've still a small part of the book to read, and this review will run in the next Commutator.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I hope they are also going to correct some of the "facts". Like for example on page 161 were Barrett and Hesketh went tough a watertight door to the coal bunker between boiler room No. 6 and cargo hold No. 2!

Mar 3, 1998
quote:

I hope they are also going to correct some of the "facts". Like for example on page 161 were Barrett and Hesketh went tough a watertight door to the coal bunker between boiler room No. 6 and cargo hold No. 2!
If you talk to Dave Brown, like I believe Brad Matsen did, he will tell you that is how it had to be.

Parks​

Mar 3, 1998
quote:

Do you also believe that?
I am too conventional a thinker to do anything other than to take Barrett's testimony at its face value. I will gladly leave deeper interpretation to others. Also, Brad never solicited my help in the writing of his book, even though we met on several occasions.

Parks​

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
I am, by far, no expert on Titanic or Britannic, but I doubt there is much more about their fates that a new book or documentary could teach me. However it appears there are a plethora of facts surrounding their discoveries and subsequent expeditions that I could learn about, but in all honesty they don't peak my interest that much, although many are enthralled by such minutae.

quote:

Chapter 3 is entitled, "Titaniacs," and provides an amusing look at the Titanic online forums -- and the strange creatures who inhabit said forums -- from the perspective of an outsider. That chapter, in particular, is going to be embraced by everyone here. :)
Well said. When it comes to Titanic, as well as the other great ships, either you get it, or you don't.
happy.gif