Titanic's Leading Ladies

Apr 11, 2001
Have had a great time making this little collage for you and learned quite a bit about these ladies on the way. Have located Audrey Dalton in Mission Viejo-and Nancy Nevinson(SOS Titanic AND Raise the Titanic) in Chichester ,UK- and hope they will share some of their memories of the filming with us. Yes- Titanic Leading Men is in the works. Photos used are in my collection, publicity stills, agent PR glossies,or in the public domain.
http://www.revdma2.com/silverscreen.html

Jun 8, 2002
Dear Shelley,

Thanks for that entertaining post with the collage of "leading ladies". As usual, you went to a lot of effort to make it interesting, even providing links to these actresses.

Barbara Stanwyck and Kate Winslet are great, but my personal favorite is Audrey Dalton. A Dubliner? Her accent doesn't suggest that at all. I fell in love with her when I was 10 years old. I still can't take my eyes off her in her scenes in "Titanic", especially when she agrees to dance with Wagner's character. He makes the remark about the chicken and the omelette, and she honors him with a VERY sweet smile. She might have been the "ice princess" as Annette Sturgis, but she had bedroom eyes, if you know what I mean, and Gif Rogers knew it!

I'd love to write Miss Dalton and tell her of my unrequited love. Any chance of an e-mail or other address?

Shelley, I have enjoyed your intelligent and fun contributions to this forum.

Regards,
Doug

Apr 11, 2001
Audrey Dalton IS the brunette Grace Kelly I agree! Born Jan. 21, 1934 in Dublin, she went to the Royal Academy and was discovered in England by Paramount in 1952 and scooped up for GIRLS OF PLEASURE ISLAND. Her film after TITANIC was a flop- CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT with Vincent Price and Bob Hope (1954). She made many "B" movies, westerns, horror creature flicks, and westerns and became queen of the small screen in the 60's in everything from Gunsmoke to Bat Masterson. I love her line to Gif in TITANIC- "Shouldn't you be in school somewhere?" Yes indeed- she is a knockout- I shall send the address I have. Am so glad you liked the page Doug- this one went 20 hours in the making but I have the MOST fun of all- and am now besotted with the dreamy Titanic fellers!

Jun 8, 2002
Hey, Shelley,

Annette's dismissive line to Gif was a red flag to that "bull", wasn't it? Like most women, she knew what she was doing, and having messed with his mind and seeing him pass her in a sulky mood on the promenade deck with a curt tip of his hat, she smiled that sweet, victorious smile and followed him up to the boat deck to learn the "Navaho Rag". When do girls learn this stuff?

Thanks again for the great information.

Doug

Apr 11, 2001
When do girls learn this stuff? Why, we are BORN knowing it My Dear! Stanwyck's reading ondeck of the Housman poem "When I was one and twenty" was so appropriate- poor Gif was a goner from the start. Cameron truly DID lift that last scene straight from Annette and Gif's touching boatdeck farewell vignette-hook, line, and sinker. Gif says tenderly "I wouldn't have missed this boat"- compare that scene with Rose and Jack's identical exchange in Cameron's epic! Ah! Romance!

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Hey Shelley - What a great page!! I love the information you give on each actress. I, too, love that hat that Kate Winslet wore at the beginning of the movie.

I can't wait to see the leading men page. You always do so many fun things!

Thanks - Beth