Titanic's Linoleum

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi. I thought I'd start a thread to collect Titanic's correct linoleum. Post here if you have additions, or corrections

1. 1st class Smoking Room
A-Deck 1st class Smoking Room Linoleum.png

2. Gymnasium Tiles
Gymansium.png

3. Reception Room carpet
Titanic' Linoleum.png

4. D-Deck Dining Saloon
D Deck Dining Saloon First Class.png

5. Officer's Quarters and Second Class Staircase
Red Linoleum.PNG

6. Third Class Stairway under the Poop Deck (with many thanks to Thomas Krom. Such a smart man)
Third Class Staircase.png

Reactions: 1 user

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Hi Cam,
I would be interested where the lino was made. As there was a local company to me called the Staines Lino Company near Heathrow airport London. This subject has been brought up before in the past. The inverter was Fred Walton in 1855 from Yorkshire England a highly inflammable material in manufacturing. As Fred found out in his first factory resulted in been burnt down. Fred then tired in with a London business man for the money to build a new factory in Staines known as now Staines upon Thames. Fred was also the first to introduced colour patterns but was very much focus on the up market for top quality. London on his door step was captive market indeed. The local museum have records of the lino factory and lino was sold to White Star Line, Cunard Line and Union Castle Line. However the dates when sold are a little bit vague.
If the lino has FW printed on the back that has come from the Staines lino factory. Needless to say with great regret the factory has long gone and now is the Two Rivers shopping centre.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
They stopped using the kind of linoleum Titanic had, because they found that it eroded when seawater was exposed to it--Oops!

Reactions: 1 users

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks for the excellent film on linoleum which I have never seen before. There was another reason why linoleum was stopped used on warship decks. After the attack on Peral Harbour 1941they found to be too flammable.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
Interesting. Never heard that before. The best thing about linoleum in my opinion was that it covered up and preserved a lot of old wood floors in houses that could later be restored.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thanks for the excellent film on linoleum which I have never seen before. There was another reason why linoleum was stopped used on warship decks. After the attack on Peral Harbour 1941they found to be too flammable.
absolutely, always happy to help! The linoleum burning probably didn't help them trying to put out fires on the burning Warships!

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Linoleum Continued:

Reading and Writing room carpet:
Reading and Writing Room carpet.jpg

First Class tile:
First Class tile.png

Veranda Palm Court:
Veranda Palm Court tile.png

First Class Lounge carpet:
First Class Lounge Carpet.png