Titanic's most beautiful women

Though I feel a bit biased toward her, as she is the most local survivor to my home and the main focus of my own Titanic research, I always found Eloise Hughes Smith to have been an attractive young lady. She had a very charming smile and generally pleasant look about her, IMO.

Arun Vajpey

Brian’s right that standards of beauty change. We may not agree with what was thought of as beautiful in 1912 but the following women — that is the well known women who made the news and gossip columns — were considered among the "lookers" of the day:

1) Lucy Duff Gordon

View attachment 39558

2) Eleanor Widener

View attachment 39559

3) Marian Thayer

View attachment 39560

4) Dorothy Gibson

View attachment 39561

5) Noelle Rothes

View attachment 39562

6) Helen Churchill Candee

View attachment 39563

Note that only Dorothy Gibson and the Countess of Rothes are younger women, ages 22 and 33 respectively. The others are all over 40. The Edwardian period was a time when "maturity and savoir faire were prized in a woman," as one writer put it.
I suppose beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. To be brutally honest, I would not have taken a second look at any of those women if they had tripped over me. I never liked that "haughtily confident" look.

The only adult female photograph that I found striking was that of - believe it or not - Charlotte Collyer - the one with her daughter and the White Star blanket on her lap. I like that "Earthy" look as I call it.

JACQLINE

I think the rich/ upper class Titanic women revered for being beautiful were actually celebrated for "holding up" well in middle age, which isn't really a bad thing. Still, I was perplexed at the hoopla made over Helen Candee. Perhaps she looked much better in person, or her charms were more in her character than her face. All in all, the graininess of the photos we have to consider from this group in 1912 don't do man or woman proper justice. Why are they so bad? I have seen much better photographs of Queen Victoria in the 1870s... and it was clear she was no raving beauty. But I love how willing she was to distribute those pictures to her people and be completely unconcerned with looking "pretty." Other great women have followed suit.

aerofool

There is something about the eyes of Miss Jean Gertrude Hippach.

Attachments

• Jean-Hippach.jpg
    Jean-Hippach.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 user

Kas01

I guess I was born a hundred years too late and a few million dollars too short, but I don't think I'd have minded running into Madeleine and her sister Katherine at a tennis court in Bar Harbor way back then.

Although I don't see nearly enough attention paid to Argene Del Carlo and Kate Gilnagh in this thread.

Peter Kyhl

The most beautiful women were Helen Newsom, Maragret Hays and the Countess of Rothes in my opinion. But also Mary Marvin, Helen Bishop and Julia Cavendish were good looking.

I can't find any pictures of her as an adult, but I always thought Marjorie Collyer (Charlotte Collyer's daughter) was a very attractive child with the potential to grow into a ravishing beauty. Sadly she didn't seem to have a terribly happy life after the sinking.

Arun Vajpey

To throw my two cents in I would agree with your choice of the Countess of Rothes.

Hmmm....Personally I did not think much at all of that commonly shown profile photo of the Countess. She has a presence yes, but attractive.....definitely not IMO. But maybe that particular photo does not do her justice.

I prefer looks where there is at least a hint of animation. CoR comes across as too bland for my tastes.

Hmmm....Personally I did not think much at all of that commonly shown profile photo of the Countess. She has a presence yes, but attractive.....definitely not IMO. But maybe that particular photo does not do her justice.

I prefer looks where there is at least a hint of animation. CoR comes across as too bland for my tastes.
Well we all have our preferences. Some like Cheerios and some like Corn flakes. But with the photo's available its hard to compare. I think she's a pretty woman but wouldn't be my first choice to be stranded on a desert island with. It's not fair to compare a 22 year old next to a 40 year old. I would need to see them buck naked, no war paint and all to be fair. All in the interest of scientific research of course...:).

I was always a bit partial towards Muesli. ;)
Before we get to far off topic I will admit I had to go look that up. Looks good even though I'm not really a big cereal guy. I will try some. But getting a little back on topic I know most of the cereals we eat today were invented later than Titanic. There's a whole series on the history channel about it. Probably not a choice during Titanic's time.

Reactions: 1 user