Titanic's plans

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From the looks of it, you saw a mishmash of plans from different times all thrown together, and the watertight bulkheads going up to D Deck likely reflect the post Titanic modifications to the Olympic. Ships go through a lot of changes in their lifetime starting practically from the day the keel is laid, and it's quite a trick to keep up with them all. Even on the Titanic's maiden voyage, Thomas Andrews was taking notes with an eye to proposed changes for the Titanic, and also the Britannic which by then was already under construction.

The best plans I'm aware of, short of obtaining a set from Harland & Wolff, are the deck plans published in Eaton & Hass "Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy" with The Shipbuilder plans reflecting the layout of the Olympic more or less as completed.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Michael,

They are all (at least the 5 bottom decks) in the same format on the same sheet. The book doesn't list a source (imagine that!) but it does appear to be from 1911.

David

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Even if every deck was taken from a different set of plans, the deck in question (D) is shown with an expanded Reception Room, is labeled "D Deck" and shows 5 WT bulkheads.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There are some weird plans around. On pages 38 and 39 of Anatomy of the Titanic there is a profile drawing. The bulkheads in the boiler rooms go to E deck, which suggests pre 1912. If you look closely, the coal bunkers are labelled 'oil fuel' or 'oil settling tanks'. Maybe they used old drawings to toss ideas about when altering Olympic.

Jan 5, 2001
It’s interesting that the plans were altered in the first place. Likewise, to me it seems strange that the plans were added into the book; why not use the 1911 Shipbuilder-type Olympic plans to compare with Titanic’s 1912 plans on the next page rather than mix Britannic’s original plans with Olympic at some time following the 1928 refit?

Dave Gittins brings up a good point, as the Olympic’s oil was also stored in the inner skin according to the Board of Trade’s extensive reports.

Thanks David for bringing up this point; I never looked at the plans closely and just assumed that they were 1911 Olympic at the bottom.

Bill, did you get my forwarded Olympic e-mails about the fans and drafted text from about a month back? I know the first e-mail was deleted because of the junk mail, but I re-sent them again addressed as requested. Should I re-send them for you?

Best regards,

Mark.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Bill,

Fascinating! Were these plans post-Titanic disaster?

I find it interesting because they could very well indicate the actual layout of many areas on Titanic. Do we actually know if the refrigerated cargo area was like Olympic's? It's quite possible (if not probable) that many areas on Titanic were altered from Olympic's plan and repeated on Britannic (at least initially).

David