1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Titanic's Plimsoll line

Discussion in 'Technical Construction Design' started by Dan Kappes, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Dan Kappes

Dan Kappes Member

Was the number 42 really the top number on the Titanic's Plimsoll line? Here is a pic from the movie:
    t dolphin.jpg
    Interesting: the number 42 + dolphins = important subjects in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I wonder if this is a deliberate reference by James Cameron.

Also, Douglas Adams, who wrote Hitchhiker's Guide, also wrote a book called Starship Titanic about an ill-fated spaceship.

And is that 42 meters or feet?

SmileyGirl likes this.
  2. Jim Currie

Jim Currie Member

Hello Dan.

It is an exact replica. The number indicates 42 feet, not metres and it is not the Plimsoll Line but the forward draft mark. it tells how far below the water the keel is at the forward end. There are similar marks at the bow.
    In the photograph it is giving a false reading...too high. This is because the ship is moving and pushing a "hump" of water ahead of her. You cannot get a true draft unless the ship is stopped in still water... in a dock.
    The Plimsoll line is amidship on both sides.

Regards.

Tim Aldrich and SmileyGirl like this.
  3. SmileyGirl

SmileyGirl Guest

I always meant to read Starship Titanic but never got round to it. What would you give it out of 10?

4. Dan Kappes

Dan Kappes Member

I've never read Starship Titanic; I've just heard about it. I think it's a novel and also a video game.

SmileyGirl likes this.