Titanics propellers

This centre propeller on Titanic seems to got more life going for it today as was on Titanic!
There is no doubt Mark has uncovered documents that a three bladed centre propeller was said on paper to be made. However what is said on paper doesn't always follow in practice.
What does surprise me if it had be the other way around where the Olympic had started life with a three bladed centre propeller, and Titanic was to follow on with a four blade centre propeller that to me more common sense. As anything new in technology never stand still and that can be clearly seen on Lusitania and Mauretania where both ship started life with three bladed propellers and about one year later change over to four bladed propellers with improved performance. That was four years before Olympic class ship came on the seen.
Even the new big three super liners from Germany with turbines where also four bladed propellers to.
The new technology for turbines had moved on.
However since Mark has it on paper and I or anybody else cannot prove any different we have to stick with it. The only real true if the paper work is correct is still lies buried at the bottom of the Atlantic seabed. To remove the seabed debris from the propeller is a very costly and expensive operation indeed.

There is no doubt Mark has uncovered documents that a three bladed centre propeller was said on paper to be made.

The H&W documentation recorded each completed ship's propeller configuration. It was not a component order.

However what is said on paper doesn't always follow in practice.

Anyone arguing that in this specific case needs to produce evidence to support their own claims. The failure of so many to do so is mere hypocrisy, because they are demanding a standard from others which they fail to follow themselves.

The only real true if the paper work is correct is still lies buried at the bottom of the Atlantic seabed.

Historians work with the evidence available.

The fact that we do not have evidence from the wreck is not a legitimate excuse to ignore the evidence we do have.

Reactions: 4 users
Mark nobody is ignoring the evidence available. But the amount of times in my career have check out items arrived with enclosed manifestation documents. Only to find it is not as to the manifesto. Usually to a typo error who has not see the job on hand.
How many times I order something on line only to find some thing else arrives.
You could still be right, but I am surprises from an engineering point of view that Titanic had a three bladed centre propeller due to new technology moving on as on the Mauritanian & Lusitania, which started life with three bladed propellers then change over to four bladed propellers for turbines.

Sorry to tell you what may be seen on the barge and is a three bladed centre propeller does not 100% guarantee that was install on the ship. Documentation yes. 100% for sure still lies buried at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.

Seumas

Sorry to tell you what may be seen on the barge and is a three bladed centre propeller does not 100% guarantee that was install on the ship. Documentation yes. 100% for sure still lies buried at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.
Well, find some proof then. Just remember, an opinion is not a fact.

Mark has actually found proof of a three blader in the form of an original H&W document.

Your proof on the other hand consists of "How many times I order something on line only to find some thing else arrives." You would be laughed at and humiliated if you made such an argument at a Titanic society meeting.

Drop the argument, it is annoying other posters.

Reactions: 1 user
With regards the Titanic societies is there a specific way for one to join? I dont want to go onto Google and sign up, for want of a better one, a duff one!

Seumas

With regards the Titanic societies is there a specific way for one to join? I dont want to go onto Google and sign up, for want of a better one, a duff one!
Not a member of any clubs myself (I'm a lone wolf) but these three major ones may interest you:

The Titanic International Society (TIS)

The Titanic Historical Society (THS)

The British Titanic Society (BTS)

Well, find some proof then. Just remember, an opinion is not a fact.

Mark has actually found proof of a three blader in the form of an original H&W document.

Your proof on the other hand consists of "How many times I order something on line only to find some thing else arrives." You would be laughed at and humiliated if you made such an argument at a Titanic society meeting.

Drop the argument, it is annoying other posters.
Seumas, I recognise you do add useful information to ET. At some times you can be quite out spoken. But hay we are not all the same.
But please remember every member has the right to express their opinion whether we agree or disagree. You certainty do not have the right to ask members to drop the argument and to make your own sulphonating opinion for other members.
Yours true,
Mike.

100% for sure still lies buried at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.
Photographic evidence is of course always 100% proof positive. Look at Jenny the cat from this picture taken at Queenstown.
1642615362839.png

That the question I ask why did Olympic have a four bladed centre propeller in the first place? As the trend was to have three bladed propellers. And I can only think that came about from the new technology of turbines.
Where Lusitania & Mauretania started life with three bladed propellers and change over to four bladed propellers with improved performance. With about fours years of service of the two ships, it seems logic to fit a four bladed propeller on Olympic turbine. So what made them think of a three bladed propeller would be better? Then fit a four bladed propeller on Britannic. Followed by a three bladed on Olympic1913 and then back to square one with a four bladed propeller again!
Just a matter of interest do we know if it was the same original propeller as fitted in 1911?
As Mark has the paper work to show that a three centre bladed propeller was made for Titanic,
where we have to stick with that until prove different.
As with Titanic and Britannic was given on a piece paper of there sinking position, which years later on proved not to be the case!

That the question I ask why did Olympic have a four bladed centre propeller in the first place? As the trend was to have three bladed propellers. And I can only think that came about from the new technology of turbines.
Where Lusitania & Mauretania started life with three bladed propellers and change over to four bladed propellers with improved performance. With about fours years of service of the two ships, it seems logic to fit a four bladed propeller on Olympic turbine. So what made them think of a three bladed propeller would be better? Then fit a four bladed propeller on Britannic. Followed by a three bladed on Olympic1913 and then back to square one with a four bladed propeller again!
Just a matter of interest do we know if it was the same original propeller as fitted in 1911?
As Mark has the paper work to show that a three centre bladed propeller was made for Titanic,
where we have to stick with that until prove different.
As with Titanic and Britannic was given on a piece paper of there sinking position, which years later on proved not to be the case!
This is how the effectiveness of the four-blade and three-blade propellers was tested. You make two identical ships and give one a propeller with three blades and the other with four. Then you look at which one has less vibration and sails faster.