Titanic's Reciprocating Engines

May 3, 2005
Hi All, this is a first pass at animating the engines themselves. Lots still to do (Sigh, loads still to do).
Will the completed model be actually run under steam power by. Itself or powered by an electric motor to give it the motion and animating the engines themselves ?

Cian O'Reilly

Dec 11, 2018
This is a quick update on progress. Having done the animation test - which has many technical issues still to be sorted - I wanted to do something that felt more like a big step forward, so I've started on the Y-Frames.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Cian O'Reilly

Dec 11, 2018
Latest rendering of the Engine. Nothing new here - I haven't had time to do actual work for a few weeks, so excuse the dodgy animations - it's just better visuals...

Cian O'Reilly

Dec 11, 2018
This is the latest update on progress...the project has slowed down considerably due to pressure from other projects, not least of which is the Bow wreck I'm scratch-building. This latest set of images shows the correct configuration of the central Y-Frames (which supported the High and Intermediate pressure cylinders). Also included is a shot of the Flywheel at the aft end of the engine with more accurate detailing.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Cian O'Reilly

Dec 11, 2018
Hi All...it's been a while since I last posted here on the Titanic Engine Build I'm working on. I've made some useful progress - The linking spans between the Y-Frames are now in place, with the Frames themselves now finalised. The Weigh Bar with it's support arms have been added, though the bar itself will undergo further modification as components of the reversing gear are added. The Worm Gear for the Barring (Turning) Engine at the aft end - next to the Fly (Bull) Wheel has been added and most recently, the Drainage reservoirs - Steam Traps - which carry condensates (water, oil) from the Cylinders have been added though connecting pipes are not yet made.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Hi Cian,
Do you have the original drawings of the engine to show the external sizes in feet and inches. Total length, width and height. If so please reply.

Cian O'Reilly

Dec 11, 2018
Hi Mike, I don't have original plans as such, I'm using a combination of photographic data and the plans found here - Plans
These are for the Britannic, obviously, so there are differences (Particularly with the Low Pressure Cylinders - Britannic's low pressure cylinders were primarily a single casting, with the cylinders and valve steam chests as a single unit, whereas with Olympic and Titanic the Valve gear steam chests were a bolted-on separate cast)...

Cian O'Reilly

Dec 11, 2018
This update shows the re-animated engine in action. Previous versions were tests to figure how to rig the beast and while this is not yet final - I'll probably find ways to further reduce separation of moving parts - I think it's close to finished. The Port Engine is seen here running at between 72 to 75 rpm, approximately full speed for the engine, and running in the Ahead direction.