Titanic's rivets

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What i meant by that is the officer's won't be at fault if a person lost there life.<<

That would depend on whether or not that officer was on watch at the time of the accident and whether or not he was involved somehow in the decision making process. If he was, the smart money is that he would be in the defendant's dock right along with the skipper.

A

Alyson Jones

Even if he was on duty the officer,and the captain was not pressent at the time of the accident and the officer reacts to the threat as best as he could,it's still the captain responciblity what ever happens after the officer's reactions to the threat.
Is that right.To me i thought it all comes down to the captain,captain is the head of the ship.Right?
I'm not sure now.i'm a bit confussed now.

Regards

Sep 28, 2002
Northern Ireland
One of the disadvantages of being First Mate. You go along thinking this is cushy. Well as an EO or 2ic you are responsible for training. Not only that if your Captain or CO takes sick or has to leave then you ar in charge!

A

Alyson Jones

Oh, i never thought it in that way,it never acurred to me about the captain being sick.
It sounds like you're an officer or captain you're self. right?

Sep 28, 2002
Northern Ireland
No, I was in the Army for six years and know about the chain of command.

At work, I am the reserve Emergency Coordinator, unfortunately on my last 14 day shift, I was the Emergency Coordinator and it is a lot of responsibility.

A

Alyson Jones

Ok.I see where you are comming from now.
It's too much being top dog just like a cheif officer

A

Alyson Jones

If the officer went against the captain wishes,and things go wrong.Who's the blame captain or the officer

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If the officer went against the captain wishes,and things go wrong.Who's the blame captain or the officer<<

Both. The officer for going against the Captain's orders and the Captain because the ultimate responsibility is still his.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
On another thread, the subject of rivets was raised. I wonder if anyone knows whether the rivet holes in the shell plating of Titanic were punched or bored? This is extremely important in determining failure of a riveted joint.

[Moderator's Note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in this topic, has been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the rivets. JDT]

John Knight

Jun 4, 2004
According to 'Titanic: The Ship Magnificent. Volume One: Design and Construction' "Nearly all rivet holes in the steel work of Titanic were punched".
I am hoping that the information is correct considering the cost of the book.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Very significant that they were punched. By the punching action, the rivet hole was tapered - narrower at the entry point of the punch and wider at the exit point of the removed steel (a bit like the exit wound from a bullet). When two plates were to be joined, the point of entry of the punch on one plate was mated to the point of entry in the other. Thus; the rivet hole, when viewed in section, was hour-glass shaped. However the most damning contribution was that the steel in the vicinity of the entry point of the punch had its crystalline structure changed and that area of the plate was brittle.

david wilson

Feb 17, 2004
Jim & Sam,yes the holes were tapered,they had to be or the punch broke.Holes were punched to a formula.To punch a 22mm hole in 20mm plt the die was calculated by adding 1/5 the plt thickness to the punch dia eg 20 divided by 5 = 4 + 22 = 26
If you stuck to this formula no punches broke.
seven degrees west.
regards.
dw.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Thanks for that David. Another part of the rivet jig-saw in place. What do you think about plate edge brittleness in the immediate region of the rivet hole?

Cheers!

Jim.

david wilson

Feb 17, 2004
After the holes were punched,they were countersunk (csk)in way of the rivet head & rivet point.The rivet shank was tapered at the head end,to suit the csk.The point end was beaten into the csk.You have to understand that ALL holes were reamed when the plates were hung.The csk would have taken most of the stressed plt in way of the hole away.
seven degrees west.
regards.
dw.

david wilson

Feb 17, 2004
Jim Currie,if you want more details regarding the procedure of making & fitting a riveted shell plt I posted an article on the same quite a while ago.
Perhaps!if you were to ask Michael Standart very nicely to retrieve it for you,he might oblige.
seven degrees west.
regards.
dw.