News Titanic's sister ship Britannic to be open to recreational divers - Belfast Telegraph

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Diving at Britannic's depth requires significant experience in deep water technical diving. I am not so sure that you could call any dive on her wreck 'recreational,' no matter what the reasons behind the dive.

Well not to get picky but that article should say it will be open to technical divers. Recreational diving is generally accepted to mean around 130 ft max depth...not the 400 ft that Britannic is at.
Looks like you beat me to it! I agree with your assessment completely, and I am neither a recreational nor technical diver. :D

Nov 14, 2005
Diving at Britannic's depth requires significant experience in deep water technical diving. I am not so sure that you could call any dive on her wreck 'recreational,' no matter what the reasons behind the dive.

Looks like you beat me to it! I agree with your assessment completely, and I am neither a recreational nor technical diver. :D
Probably a good thing shes at 400 ft. Otherwise every son of a jackle would be looting her like what happened to the Empress of Ireland. I've been diving for almost 50 years and in all that time and hundreds of dives I've been below 100 ft exactly once. And the only reason I went that deep on that dive was just to say I did. For me all the best diving is usually between 20 and 50 ft. I've always tried to stay at the 60-60 rule. 60 mins or less at 60 ft...no decompression. Thats using the US Navy dive tables which I've always used. The PADI and others use different tables now.