Titanic's South Florida Connection

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
In an effort to find a new home for the Titanic Ship of Dreams Exhibit in Palm Beach County, I'm enlisting your help in contributing information regarding passenger/crew links to West Palm Beach. I know that the Speddens and Madeleine Astor had winter homes here. Any additional info I can provide prospective landlords to sweeten the deal?

Thanks!
Kyrila

Sep 20, 2000
Hi, Kyrilla:

This one's a "loose" connection, but Billy Carter (William E. Carter) died in Palm Beach. He was a Philadelphian who'd been known to winter at The Breakers (a resort?) for several years. See his ET Bio and associated articles for more details.

I got this one from memory, but I'm thinking that if you search "Florida" on ET's main page, you'll probably come up with quite a few links.

Cheers,
John

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Thanks, guys. I always forget about search engines.

The Breakers is a resort. You can see it featured in the Sigourney Weaver/Gene Hackman film "Heartbreakers" now at Blockbusters, if anyone is interested.

All the best,
Kyrila

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, I found quite a few survivors who called Palm Beach County home during the winter season. Margaret Tobin Brown was actually staying at The Breakers during the 1925 fire, and was instrumental in leading many of her fellow guests down the fire escape. Billy Carter, although residing with his son at The Breakers that winter, was taken to a local hospital where he later died after his family was gathered to say goodbye. John Borie Ryerson resided in a nursing home in Palm Beach (which is still in existence, though at a different address now) and died here. He was cremated at a crematory not far from my home. The attending physician is still practicing medicine. Of course, Madaleine Astor died here, and her son, John Jacob Astor, died in Miami Beach. Frederic Spedden also passed away while swimming at the Bath and Tennis Club (still in business). Nelle and John Pillsbury Snyder lived in Delray Beach, where I will be portraying "Molly Brown" on the 18th, and Pauline Thayer lived in Hobe Sound, in the north end of the county, where she was renown as an avid golfer. Thanks for all your leads. If anyone can help me locate the cities in Florida where Fridtjof Madsen and Karl Behr, Jr. lived, I'd appreciate it. Also, Phillip Gowan, do you know if Dr. Alice Leader was a Seventh-Day Adventist? The sanitarium where she passed away was affiliated with the church, so I'm curious. And of course, we ALL want to know what became of Rosa Abbott when she moved to Florida. I also want to thank everyone who posted about Margaret Brown. It was a big help for my monologue script.

All the best,
Kyrila

May 8, 2001
Wrong Behr! I Can tell you lots about his other son Peter. I will watch out for Karl Jr. in my searches. I will send you an email if I come across something on him.
Colleen