Titanic's Wireless Room Picture

J

Jared Berger

Is there one? I think there is because i have seen it. Its not the best picture, but it was kept because is was the only know picture of the wireless room. Also the reading and writing room on titanic. There is a blurry picture of that. Has anyone noticed that in the picture of the couple walking out of the aft part of the A deck promenade you can see part of the private promenade of the starboard millionaires suite in the lower right hand corner?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've seen the same picture...the one with one of the operators at the key. As far as I know, it's the only extant photo of the wireless room that was ever taken while the ship was on the surface rather then under 2 1/2 miles of water.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if others exist, but if they do, they're in private hands.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Jared, the photos you mention are by Francis Browne, who left the ship at Queenstown. The one of the radio room is a double exposure, but he kept it because it seems to be unique. The photo with the reflection is fairly well known. Browne's photos are in a book published as Father Browne's Titanic Album in Ireland and The Last Days of the Titanic in the US. It's still about but it's rather pricey.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Due to the extreme generosity of copyright laws, Father Browne's photos are still copyright, 91 years after they were taken and 43 years after Browne's death. Other than the official site, nobody should be posting them, though some do.

P

Pete Ford

In my copy of Fr. Francis Browne, S.J.'s Titanic Album, on page 42 is a picture of the "Marconi Room" with Harold Bride at the controls. There is a hand written notation below the photo: "...Harold Bride, afterwards saved, sitting at the table." and "Two exposures on the one plate. This is the only photo ever taken of the Marconi room of the 'Titanic'."

Regards,

PJF

Dan Waddell

Mar 28, 2011
Apologies for dredging this one up after so long, but one thing has always bothered me about this photo: how did Father Browne get to take it? The Marconi Room was in the officers deckhouse and so out of bounds for passengers, or so I presume.

From the plans in the second volume of The Ship Magnificent, it does appear there is a door on the starboard side by stateroom T, which would have led to the officer's quarters. However, surely that would have been locked, and would Father Browne really have been skulking around with his camera like that? Or was it taken before the ship had set sail?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The Marconi Room was in the officers deckhouse and so out of bounds for passengers, or so I presume.<<

Not quite. The deckhouse had some modest First Class passenger accomadations as well. Getting access to the Marconi Room, at least to take a photo, wouldn't have been much of a problem.

Dan Waddell

Mar 28, 2011
Thanks Michael.

I thought so, but looking at the the plans in The Ship Magnificent it seems the Marconi room opens out on to a corridor that would be inaccessible to the first class passengers, even the ones staying in the deckhouse. Though there is that door I mentioned.

I take your point about being able to access the Marconi Room. It would hardly take much cunning and maybe few people would ask any questions. Especially if one was dressed as a Jesuit priest...

Oct 28, 2000
Can't say how he got into the wireless cabin, but from first-hand experience I know a camera and a few questions can take you into a lot of areas where ordinary mortals are not supposed to tread. I've made a career of doing just that. Engine rooms, galleys, bridges, and even paddle sponsons have all been opened to me after an affable question or two and careful display of a picture-taking box (bigger the better).

-- David G. Brown

Dec 7, 2000
I believe interested parties, Browne being one of them, were taken on a tour which also took them into 3rd Class, a brief view of the engine room and other crew-only areas like the Marconi Room.

I'm not sure whether Browne would have had much time to explore the ship extensively before she sailed, but certainly reporters and others who were interested did roam the ship for a few hours before sailing time and did visit the Marconi Room.

Daniel

May 3, 2005
I've been off for some time but I think I have gotten re-instated. So I'm back. Just wanted to say how fascinating all the details are covered on these forums. I don't know how it is with other Navy veterans but I find it interesting to learn of so many details you never knew during your service outside of your own little "specialty rating."
Father Browne's photo and Marconi are two of my favorite Titanic subjects. Considering Father Browne just had an ordinary Kodak, the photos are amazingly clear.

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Just wanted to add.:
It would seem that Browne would have had plenty of time for his "picture taking" at sea between Southampton and Queenstown.
How much time would this have actually been ?

May 3, 2005
Can't say how he got into the wireless cabin, but from first-hand experience I know a camera and a few questions can take you into a lot of areas where ordinary mortals are not supposed to tread. I've made a career of doing just that. Engine rooms, galleys, bridges, and even paddle sponsons have all been opened to me after an affable question or two and careful display of a picture-taking box (bigger the better).

-- David G. Brown

One of the nice things about our stay at Hotel Queen Mary at Long Beach, CA, USA was a guided tour from Engine Room to Bridge. Also being able to roam at will in other areas. Only wish W6RO had been open during our stay.

Due to security reasons I never explored nor took "on board pictures" during my Naval Service, but I do have some Kodachromes of the Marconi Room (LOL) on the ship on which I was assigned to for about 2 1/2 years. And a lot of "seascapes".

Last edited: