TML Chat it's good to talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I often get asked about setting up an ET chat room but have never done so partly because they are a pain to administer and bog down an already overworked server. However, I would like to draw your attention to an existing chat set up by Jeff Newman of the Titanic Mailing List. Here follow his instructions on how to join.

(Titanic) TML Chat

For those of you who may not be aware, there is a Titanic Mailing List
sponsored chat each Friday and Sunday at 9pm Eastern US time (GMT-5) on the
DALnet Internet Relay Chat (IRC) network.

The best way to join the chat is to download and install IRC client software
for your computer. The most popular of these are mIRC (www.mirc.com_) for
the PC and Ircle (www.ircle.com) for the Macintosh. Both are free to
download and use but should be registered if you continue to use them past
the trial period.

There are many IRC networks and hundreds of IRC servers. Servers are each
related to a particular network. Each of the larger networks carries several
thousand "channels." Each channel is like a chat room on AOL or elsewhere.
Don't call them rooms on IRC though. It's not correct and will brand you as
a "newbie!"

We gather in a channel called #Titanic on DALnet. (All channel names start
with a #.) The chat usually lasts for two to three hours, but people come
and go whenever they feel like it.

For those who don't wish to tackle learning another piece of software, We've
made available at http://www.greatships.net/chat
a Java chat client from

which you can connect to the TML chat. Using the client is easy. All you
need to do is enter a nickname for yourself (we mostly use the names of
Titanic crew or passengers) and click one button on the screen to get in.
Couldn't be simpler.

Our hope is that by making it simple to connect, we will get more people to
participate. Try it!

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Just to give you a taste - last Sunday night we discussed the condition of the Titanic wreck site versis the Lusitania wreck site (Eric Sauder's name came up quite a bit here), Dr. Ballard's new book, last September's Titanic mini-convention held in New York, the Hunley and various other topics. I, myself, had some Lawrence Beesley news to impart (Well, I now have evidence that it was his younger brother, Arthur, in Canada that Lawrence had booked Titanic to visit AND it was this same brother who was on the Oceanic when she picked up the three bodies).

Also, a LOT of kidding and catching up going on. I would highly recommend a visit if you've never been there and if you have, well, you know what I'm talking about.

Best regards,
Cook

Apr 7, 2001
Pat,

Sounds good, but I don't know if I'll be able to contribute anything technical as far as the ships are concerned. But I could listen in and maybe join the kidding and jokes. That sounds like fun. Okay see you Friday night.

Teri

C

Christine Geyer

Hi all you wonderful people
happy.gif

Just crawled out of my bed and had a look on the board for the first time after a week (having a disgusting cold). I have often wished we had a chatroom. That would be really really great. Already considered weather starting a collective little bribery to Phil would be useful, hehehe *inconspicuousshiftingthesecretlyrecoveredrubayatovertophil*

Now this alternate chat is actually a good thing BUT nevertheless I have to appeal to the Human Rights Commission for all European "Titanics" here. Ehem... By the time this chat starts its 03.00 o'clock in the middle of the night in Germany and the rest of Europe, excluding the British where it's 02.00 o'clock. Grrrrmblmblmbl!... That's discrimination ! Bohuuuuu... ! Really, as much as I would looove to chat with all of you but THIS is a slightly ineligible time. "It's good to talk" but at this time I even find it pretty good to sleep.

Pat & Geoff, now I know where you always disappear on Fridays and Sundays after singing your lullaby...

Many regards
red-nosed Christine

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi Christine,

Hope you're feeling better! And, again, thanks for that nice email.

The chatroom in question was set up years ago by Jeff Newman (who, with historian Mark Baber, has one of the most - if not THE most - complete collections of Steamer post cards I've ever seen!) And since Jeff lives in New York City he runs it on that time zone.

You're right; I'm there a lot of the Fridays and Sundays. However, what Geoffy does in his spare time...well, there have been stories....

Best regards,
Cook

C

Christine Geyer

Thank you so much Cook(**),

Bohuuuuu does that mean there's NO HOPE ??? I know from other chatrooms that they have found a time where both, americans and europeans can meet, for example a friend of mine meets at a chat which is 3 p.m. in the USA, so it's still a good time over here. So do I have to bribe Phil then ??? Alright... A woman's got to do what a woman's got to do ... *secretlycomingacrosswithladyduffgordonsfavouritenecklace*!! I'm calling my fellow europan members for a strike !

red-nosed Christine

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
The chatroom is entirely public so I don't see why you can't just schedule a regular chat at a certain time each week. Say lets meet there at 7pm GMT every Friday or suggest a better time?

C

Christine Geyer

Yeah, Phil that's great !! That would make 9 pm CET, right (considerung the summer-time)? You sound a little grumbling, are you angry about that posting ?? Wasn't my intention.
sad.gif

Red-nosed regards
Christine

C

Christine Geyer

Wonderful
happy.gif
Gnnnnn... I had such a beautiful hopping tiger for you Phil, but I'm too red-nosy to manage to upload him. Hmpf. So you got to imagine him. Get out of the thistles !!
proud.gif

GARGL... I can tell you I almost get crazy with this time-zones. By the time that I've finally managed to find out the right time it'll probably be OVER! Pat I had a look at the oh so wise internet and it says that in Texas you have "CST (Central Standart Time) CET -7 hours" So that would be 2 p.m. over there. I hope.... and think....

Many red-nosed regards
Christine

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Well, Christine, it gets a little more confusing - we're now on daylight savings time. Anyway, somebody name a time and I'll try to be there.

Best regards,
Cook

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
19:00 Oxford

is

18:00 Casablanca (of all the chat rooms in all the websites in all the world...)
20:00 Germany
04:00 Melbourne (sorry Fi)
11:00 Los Angeles
13:00 US Central
20:00 Stockholm

and so on.

Dec 13, 1999
Cook, "Somebody name a time and I'll try to be there" O.K. 6.30pm under the station clock, I'll carry a copy of the London Times then you'll know it's me!

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Where have you been, Ethelbert? I'd know you ANYwhere!

We had a minor meeting yesterday but I believe we enjoyed ourselves. Mr. Hind was in attendance as was Ms's. Winship and Geyer. And we talked about all the OTHER people here!

Here's an idea - why not everyone state when would be a good day/time to meet and we could, possible, go with the one most suggested. I can meet anytime - I'm SO lonely!

Your obedient,
Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.