TMRA site (titanic-model.com) is down

Jack Raby

Jan 10, 2019
As I already said, the link is still working for me (try a right click and "save link as...").
James remove your email from the message or you'll be spammed !
I've sent you the file.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020
This is just such a huge disappointment.

I started a 1/350 model back in 2005 and was an avid reader and visitor to the site. The forum was an amazing resource for information, asking questions, and meeting fellow modelers.

Then some things happened in my life and business and I had to lay the project aside. Now when I have the time to go back to it the site is gone.

I'm sure I can muddle through, but I really would have liked to reconnect with a lot of the old gang.

Cheers.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Geoff: Nowadays everything is happening in Facebook Titanic modeling groups. I haven’t found any that has the collection of talent that TRMA had but you might find one that helps you.

Jan 15, 2019
New Zealand
Farcebook absolutely SUCKS, and is devoid of logic. To lose the website is a massive step backwards, plus the huge loss of info which is a thousand times easier to find and navigate to on the website., now all lost.

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
You are welcome to ask any specific questions about modelling here, I'm sure many of the old members of that group still check in from time to time and will help you.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
The problem with most of the Facebook modeling sites is they almost focus on modeling to the exclusion of any discussion or resources about the real ship. Most of the modelers on Facebook sites seem to be content in doing just what kit directions say. I have heard of some people recovering TRMA forum content with the Wayback Machine but I don’t know much about that. Although it’s not specifically about modeling, TRMA members poured their heart and soul into the two volume set, Titanic the Ship Magnificent. That project burned out most of the main members and with the rise of Facebook, things just fell apart slowly at TRMA. Had to end sometime.

Feb 28, 2020
Thank you for your replies. I will check out Facebook as you suggest, and I was actually eyeing the Ship Magnificent set on Amazon yesterday.

I was at the point where I was ready to plan the lighting, but I suppose that's all changed now with the technology of LEDs, so I'll be looking into that.

I had spent hours grinding and sanding the inner hull to make it more realistic in thickness, drilled out all of the portholes and back drilled them to correct hull thickness, corrected porthole positions, squared up the corners of the large windows, etc. Man, there was black plastic dust and chips everywhere. It took forever to clean it up because static electricity made it stick to everything.

I was even working on detailed berth decks and I was corresponding with Tom's Modelworks about making tiny photo etch beds, etc. Loren Perry wouldn't take on custom work, but Tom would, so I had them drawn on paper, and he was going to photo etch them to scale for me. I had an idea about making a portion of the hull side removable to view all of that. I can show you some progress photos if you like.

I was prepared to be as detailed as Art Braunschweiger was being with his (he was just beginning in those days, but a ways ahead of me) and we had some pretty lively discussions about how to do things. Interestingly, I came across a text file from Ron Dominguez from Feb. of 2005 that I saved regarding scale figures. Art quotes it in his article on the subject here.

They were great times, and I never imagined all would be lost. Awesome to see that Art finished his model, and I wish I could give him Kudos in person, but he doesn't include a Contact link on his site. So I'll give him Kudos here in case he were ever to pop in.

He spent thirteen years on his model, which I might have been able to do (probably wouldn't have), but now I'm 71, and I think I'll just do a good thorough job and move on. I have shelves of stuff I always "thought" I would build.

Thanks again for the replies.