To salvage or not to salvage the moral dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

The mistake here appears to be in the assumption that the public at large shares our interest.

Not by me. Several of my friends from college thought I was "weird" because I was interested in Titanic; they just couldn't understand what the fascination was with it. I certainly do not expect everyone to see Titanic the same way as enthusiasts do, especially since the event happened nearly a century ago. I guess the same thing would go for any historical event, and basically for the same reasons.

Still, if yet another film incarnation were to emerge around the centennial anniversary--and I wouldn't be surprised if one did--I'm sure another surge of interest will take off, although not on permanent basis.​

A good measuree of the level of public interest in the Titanic is the rate of posting here on ET in the Guestbook. Five years ago in the first four months of 2003 there were more than 500 postings. Over the same period this year there have been less than 10.

Hi Mark, you're quite right, I am not a believer. I hadn't realised I'd made it quite so obvious, though now I come to think of it I do remember Dave Gittins saying on another thread that he'd see me in Hell, and to be sure to bring the toasting fork, and he'd bring the marshmallows... so I suppose that must have given it away somewhat.

However, that has nothing to do with my remarks about salvage. I was merely pointing out the illogicality and inconsistency of people being happy to salvage other older wrecks, whilst according a different status to the Titanic.

As a for instance, how do you feel about this? A British archaeological team was recently invited to northern France to excavate a downed WW2 Spitfire, in which the crew perished in the 1940s. It was buried about 5 metres. They dug up all the bits they could find, including the pilot's helmet and identity tags, which they gave to his grateful brother. I'm all for respecting the dead and for re-burying them if excavated, after examination - which by and large we do. But even if you are religious, their souls aren't there, surely? And, having experienced the sadness of a house sale after my parents died, I still say I'd be rather pleased if anyone treasured any of my belongings after I'm gone.

By the way, Bob, I think you've made a mistake re the Zippo. There's no way Capt. Smith would have had one of those, and my researches lead me to believe it was in fact a Dunhill Sporting Gents model designed to light cigars in the face of a bitter east wind gale whilst out shooting on the moors. Just thought I'd mention that.

The Captain's Zippo isn't authentic? That's not what you said when you sold it to me, Mon! In that case I want my money back for Molly Brown's Ipod too.

Never mind the Penny Black, or even the Penny Red (I have three, incidentally, which you might be interested in buying).

I have changed the phone from vibrate to a very loud electronic version of YMCA, and I am prepared to sit in the train and endure this humiliation if it means I don't have to wait for hours in the wind and rain at our destination.

Well, how was I to know you meant Waterloo Station. I was waiting for you in Belgium. And it was wet and windy there, too. At least you had some decent pubs to wait in.

Indeed, the pubs you recommended afforded Paul, Carol and I a very good day indeed, though we did give up waiting after just 30 minutes. Pity you missed it.

Have just unearthed a Penny Black from the stamp collection. Hurry - it's going on EBay soon.

I'm not falling for that again. The last Penny Black you sold me was clearly not the real deal. I used it to send you a postcard from Belgium and had it returned marked 'insufficient postage'.

>>Still, if yet another film incarnation were to emerge around the centennial anniversary--and I wouldn't be surprised if one did--I'm sure another surge of interest will take off, although not on permanent basis<<

It'll probably take off, film or not, simply because it's the centennial. Popular trends and fashions seem to thrive on nice even numbers or catchy phrases such as Silver, Gold, Diamond, or Platinum Anniversery.

Paul Rogers

Hello Bob.

"But if you want to know these things (and I know you do, Paul) you'll need to buy a copy of my book Tobacco Retailing on the Great Ocean Liners..."

Thanks for sharing that but I borrowed your earlier edition from Mon: Tobacco Retailing On Liverpool Liners and I have to say I was disappointed. Quoting a price for Woodbines that includes a discount - without stating exactly what the discount was - hardly answers the question extant. I will not tolerate that, so please don't underestimate my intelligence.

As for Captain Smith's Zippo, I thought it had been confiscated by port security at So'ton, and thus lost forever?

quote:

It'll probably take off, film or not, simply because it's the centennial. Popular trends and fashions seem to thrive on nice even numbers or catchy phrases such as Silver, Gold, Diamond, or Platinum Anniversary.

The publishers will keep the public apprised of these anniversaries, as these a flood of books tend to serve as a visual reminder to even those who aren't enthusiasts.

I still wouldn't be surprised if yet another film were slated for that year. Perhaps this time Hollywood will use someone like Zack Efron. As long as there are young heart-throbs, Titanic movies, it seems, will never go out of style.

In any case, the degree of interest appears to have a direct effect over Titanic salvage moral issues. Some trends are/can be influenced as much by the general public's lack of interest as by enthusiasts' involvement.

Monica, thank you for the thoughtful commentary. I fully intend to address it, but some personal obligations have pulled me from the forum today. I will get to it as soon as possible.

I don't mean to be rude, and I know that drifting occurs, but might I suggest to Monica and Bob to take their off-topic spiel to private email so the thread may be used for a discussion on salvage? Thanks!​

You're right, Mark, and I'm sorry. However, it's not personal. Anyone hoping to meet up with Bob needs to know he's likely to end up in the next country.

Paul Rogers

124906.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.