To Stephen Danbom!

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
Stephen, if you are in this forum, I've got some information for you. I remember that you wanted to know about Ernst Danbom but that you couldn't find anything. So I found his life story, though it's not much, and tried to write to you in the other Encyclopedia Titanica forum. But they wouldn't accept my registration application. So I have saved that information for quite some time now, on my computer :) But here it goes. The article is in Swedish but I've summed it for you in English:

Ernst Danbom was an America-born Swede and had five siblings and two "half" siblings. He lived in Stanton, Iowa and grew up to be a farmer and an immigrant recruiter (he helped people to migrate to America). He had two farms, one in Stanton, Iowa, and one in Turlock, Cali. His immigrant recruiting earned him both money and gave other benefits. He got cheaper tickets from White Star Line and also commission for every ticket White Star Line sold to every person that Ernst talked into moving to America.

Ernst and his brother Alfred were the first two in Stanton to owe high weeled automobiles, in 1908. Ernst was engaged in an American-Swedish group in Stanton. He met his soon to be wife Sigrid when she had moved to America and soon they got married, in 1910. They decided to make a honeymoon trip to Sweden in 1911 and stayed at Sigrid's parent's house, in the little village called Horn wich is in a town called Kisa in í–stergötland municipality. They planned to move to Ernst's fruitfarm in Turlock when they got back. In Sweden Sigrid gave birth to little Gilbert. During their stay at Sigrid's parent's house, Ernst talked some of Sigrid's family (the Andersson family) into moving to America and start a new life there. Said and done, the Andersson's sold all they had and booked tickets for Titanic. Even a friend of their family, Anna Nysten, wanted to migrate to America. She was the only one surviving.

Ernst's body was sent from Halifax to his brother Alfred in Stanton, where Ernst got buried in Mamrelund cemetery.

I hope this was an okay information :)

Jan 6, 2005
Iowa, USA
Here's a bit of additional info:

Stanton, Iowa is in the southwest corner of the state; it's a very small town of just over 700 population. Mamrelund Cemetery is still in existence under that name; it's on Frankfort Street, but doesn't have a street address or office that I can find. It seems to be operated by Mamrelund Lutheran Church. Stanton is an easy two-hour drive from Des Moines.

The Wikipedia page for Stanton has a bit of info on the loss of Ernst Danbom, wife Anna, sister-in-law Alfrida Andersson, her husband Anders, and their five children in Titanic's sinking:

Stanton, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mamrelund Lutheran Church's Website is here:

www.mamrelund.com

Hope this is of some help.

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
Thank you very much, Sandy! I looked it up and it was interesting. If I ever travel to USA i would love to visit Stanton and try to look up the place that Ernst lived in and also the cemetery :)

Jan 6, 2005
Iowa, USA
Lilian:

If you ever get to go, please bear in mind that the present Mamrelund Lutheran church is not the same building Ernst Danbom would have been familiar with. That church was wooden, and lightning struck its steeple in the 1930s, burning the church to the ground. The present building is Indiana limestone, to prevent a recurrence.

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
I just discovered a big error in what I wrote. Horn is NOT a village in the town of Kisa, but a little town of it's own. Kisa is another town near Horn. Sorry about that!

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Also, if you come to Iowa, be prepared to see lots of farmland. Being from there, (or should I say, here? ;) ), I can attest to the nice rural imagery of mile after mile of corn and bean fields.

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
Lilian:

If you ever get to go, please bear in mind that the present Mamrelund Lutheran church is not the same building Ernst Danbom would have been familiar with. That church was wooden, and lightning struck its steeple in the 1930s, burning the church to the ground. The present building is Indiana limestone, to prevent a recurrence.

I see. Too bad it burned down, but perhaps there is something left of the place where Ernst used to live and work.

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
Also, if you come to Iowa, be prepared to see lots of farmland. Being from there, (or should I say, here? ;) ), I can attest to the nice rural imagery of mile after mile of corn and bean fields.

Wow, that sound really wonderful. Seems to be exactly like the place I would want to spend the rest of my life in...Have you visited Stanton and Mamrelund cemetery?

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Well, I'm not from Stanton, but I can say that the Midwest (MN, SD, ND, NE, and IA) have a large amount of Scandinavian settlers and descendants. I, myself, on my mother's side, have a large amount of danish ancestors, with one from Sweden.

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
Well, I'm not from Stanton, but I can say that the Midwest (MN, SD, ND, NE, and IA) have a large amount of Scandinavian settlers and descendants. I, myself, on my mother's side, have a large amount of danish ancestors, with one from Sweden.

Yes, so I've read :) I love that!

So you also have a lot of Scandinavian ancestors! How much Danish och Swedish do you know? ;)

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
I mean "Danish AND Swedish". The word "och" is Swedish for "and". I sometimes write a few words in Swedish without even thinking about it. Sorry.

Lilian

Apr 20, 2012
His private message link in the old forum seems still to be active. Worth a try:

Profile of stephen danbom

Thank you! But I couldn't send him a private message because I could log in :( Seems that I have to make a separate registration on that board. I tried once one or two months ago, but it never got accepted. So what should I do?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You could try mentioning your problem in the 'help with the new forum' thread. A moderator or the administrator might suggest a way of making contact.