Today's New York-Washington Atrocity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2000
I've just seen on t.v. the mayhem which has befallen New York and Washington. Words alone can not convey the disgust and loathing I feel towards these savages who have caused it. I'm sure that I speak for the whole of the United Kingdom when I send my sympathy to our American friends.

Dec 12, 1999
The Bay Area airports are closed, in fact, airports nationwide are closed, and the Transamerica Pyramid is being evacuated. I just saw one of the World Trade Center Towers collapse. There must be ten or twenty thousand people dead already. I'm probably going to leave here (my office) and go home. Talk about a day that will "live in infamy," certainly, this one will.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Can't get past any of the news sites to get hard information, but managed to download the BBC's front page and news is slowly filtering in by other means.

Am staggered beyond words, and can only echo Geoff's sentiments.

My thoughts - and those of all my colleagues here with me at work - are with the American people.

~ Inger

Apr 16, 2001
Geoff and all,

We are here in New York City and I can not even begin to put into words what has just happened. The city has been shut down and we can only hope that the rampage has ended. We cannot leave the city due to the virtual shutdown of the bridges and tunnels. My greatest concern is for several friends who work in the World Trade. Efforts to reach them have not been successful and I can only pray they were able to get out of the towers before they collapsed. Cell phones are not working, and one cannot access local television.

Mike

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I received my phone call from SeaLift Command so I am off to do what I can do. I will be absent from all traffic.

I think prayers and good thoughts are in order to all effected.

God Bless America and God Bless All!!!

Erik

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
What can I say but echo what Geoff and everyone has said. Utter shock and disgust. My thoughts are with you all. Let us think particularly of the families and friends of the victims and our own Erik as he does whatever he can to help.

Puts our own problems and petty disputes in some kind of proportion doesn't it!

Phil

A

Andrew Williams

To all our American Cousins who find great comfort at been Members of this Board. I send my deepest sympathy to you all, and all your families at this most terrible crime against humanity.

Yours Friendly-Andrew Williams.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Absolutely! Here in the UK, they're talking about four other separate incidents having occured. The footage is utterly shocking, and I can only offer my condolences to all involved.

C

Christine Geyer

I am deeply shocked and absolutely speechless. I don't know what to say, I'm so shaken. It's so terrible.

Rumours came up in our office about 4.30 p.m. german time and when they heard about what happened they sent us home. Now I see these pictures in TV and cannot believe it.

My thoughts are with you over there and I honestly pray for you and your country. I wish and hope that none of you my friends has any loss among friends or family.

My deepest sympathy -
Christine

May 8, 2001
To answer my own question first, Southern California is shaken, and my prayers are with those that perished, and are involved. I wonder about Mr. Herbold specifically and his travels, and all other L.A. Titanic friends as they are in the midst of the shut downs in Los Angeles area. I have heard it is a mess. The Dams are being shut down, law enforcement is on fullalert standby, and the military base in 29 Palms is BUZZING with activity. Everyone here is walking around in utter shock and everyone is speaking in one accord saying, "Give it back to them 10 fold!" My husbands work has been shut down (govt. building) and he is on emergency stand by in the field waiting for orders to come in for the next step, and to assist whom. Last word I heard was that there was still one plane missing, and everyone is praying it will be found soon. Phone lines keep blanking out, so I will close and get this posted, and let anyone know what is happening. I hope that others will "check in" and let us all know that you too are o.k. God be with us in the days to come! Colleen

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
It has been a state of confusion here at our office since about 8:55 a.m. It has been dificult at best to attend to the day's work, which still must be done, and find out about friends and relatives of fellow co-workers who live and work in the affected areas. One hardly knows where to begin understanding what is happening. We will be praying for the safety and comfort of all those affected by the events of September 11, 2001.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
I heard about this a few minutes after the disaster, around 9:10 on my way to school this morning. At that time information was sketchy at best and all the newscasters could say was that the Trade Center was on fire. An hour later after my Composition class I found out about the Pentagon. Oy! What is the world coming to? The University of Toledo wound up canceling all of its classes and activities, so I missed my History class and came home early.

Funny thing is (for me anyhow) that on my homework assignment over the weekend, I wrote about how destructive "progress and industry" can be. I wound up scribling a little notation in the margin saying how I stick to my views even more so.

It's the end of the world, gang! Hopefully we'll get out of this in one piece.

Take care, friends, and my condolences to all.

Josh.

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
The news about the attacks in Washington and New York, has shocked me. It is a terrible attack. My deepest condolences to all involved.

I was at work when I heard something about airplanes and the World Trade Centre and explosions. But when I came home, my mother told me the terrible news.

Overhere in the Netherlands most tv stations are spending al there time, to give the people here in the Netherlands as much of information about the attack.

Hildo

May 12, 2005
all,

i hope our friends in new york and washington are all right. i have many personal friends at the fashion institute of technology in downtown manhattan and hope and pray they are ok. i have been unable to reach the school by phone and only trust they are well. if anyone can let me know if w. 27th at 7th and 8th is out of the danger area, please let me know. am sending emails to mike findlay and diane ostrow and shelley dziedzic and others in the area for news.

my condolences to all in this unfathomable disaster. may god comfort them.

randy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm still here, but as you can all imagine, I'm absolutely seething with rage. I'm watching all this over and over again on CNN, including the collapse of both towers as well as the plane that hit one of them. I was so sick to my stomach at work that I just went about finding anything to do...anything at all...to take my mind off of it, but couldn't. Now it's all I can do to fight back tears and try to stay sane.

Mike Findley and anyone else here who may have friends and reletives caught up in the middle of this, my prayers are out to you that you'll all hear good news.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 8, 2001
I don't know where you are all at, so, all I can do is sit and wait, and PRAY. I feel for each and every one of you. Colleen

R

Rolf Vonk

I am truly shocked by the news about the horrific terroristic attacks on the United States. This is absolutely intolerable and inhuman. Nobody has the right to take the lives of innocent people in such a disgusting way. The European countries and the European people are visible shocked by this disaster and we will support the US with whole our heart. I pray for the victims and their surviving relatives. May God be with you.

Rolf.

Jan 3, 2001
To Randy Bigham:

Having spent 5 days last week getting to know
Manhatten by foot I can assure you 27th at 7th &
8th is a good distance away from the explosion.

I hope you get reassurance from some of the local
folks soon.

Rosanne MacIntyre

Status
Not open for further replies.