Toilet paper on Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2004
Had they have toilet paper on Titanic? Or how had they cleaned their bottoms? It interests me, because my grandmother told me that she used old newspapers or a towel to clean her bottom (she was growing up during the war on the countryside). So how was it on Titanic? Had they already have a toilet paper?

Thanks
Vitezslav

Aug 29, 2000
I have recently admired some Harland and Wolff "bathroom tissue" imprinted with a discreet H&W.
And on another related subject, Scott Paper invented disposable paper towels in 1907 for use in Philadelphia classrooms to help prevent the spread of the common cold from child to child. Kleenex or facial tissue came along later, using the formula for cellucotton which was invented for WWI bandages. Cellulose wrapped cotton was 5 times more absorbant than regular cotton, it was discovered, and used widely on the battlefield and in hospitals. So, handkerchiefs would have been in pockets aboard Titanic.

S

sashka pozzetti

I wonder what they did with all the used toilet paper and other waste? I don't suppose they had enough water for flushing toilets. It must have been really bad if the sea was rough, or there was an outbreak of food poisoning in 3rd class.

S

sashka pozzetti

Of course! I'm so dumb. I hope they filtered out all the fish and seaweed first!!!!!!!!

S

sashka pozzetti

Thank you Bob!, I never believed I would find so much knowledgeable information about a subject like this!!!!!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You're very welcome, Sashka. Sadly, I'm one of those people who know nothing much about the Titanic except stuff like this!
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I hope they filtered out all the fish and seaweed first!!!!!!!!<<

I think you'll find that ships had strainers in the sea chest and salt water plumbing systems for that. They still do as a matter of fact. These days, more and more cruise ships use fresh water for sanitary applications, but this is a reletively recent development. The sort of evaporator/distilling systems which existed in 1912 just weren't up to dealing with the sort of demands that came with two or three thousand people flushing the loo everyday. This made the use of salt water essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.