Top Threads

Jan 28, 2003
Hundreds of threads and thousands of posts. It's very difficult for newer members to get a handle on what's gone before. A lot of it one wouldn't necessarily want to, of course, but there are nuggets of gold in there which older members might remember and dig up, from great tech discussions (Sam's diagrams anyone?) to the minutiae of hygiene in 1912.

Being irredeemably frivolous and a treacherous friend, I'll start us off with Bob Godfrey confessing to wearing corsets (you have to follow the links).

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Monica, some of the more memorable ones include those that eventually had to be closed down, although some had some "gem postings".

Fun ones I recall:
"Titanic One-Liners":

and
THE WORLD WEEKLY NEWS Posts:

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The Moderators can delete this particular post.

However, I can recall the "dillies" (long-ago shut down): (I won't post the Links, this time):
1. "For Women Only";
2. "Titanic Branson";
3. "Pet Peeves";
4. "Polls & Opinions" Now For the Worst Titanic Movie...VOTES, Please"; and,
5. A Certain BRITANNIC Thread.

These were definitely the ones we used to "Ensure that Extra Strength Tylenol sales improved", as regards our Moderators.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
After this I will let everyone else post their favorites, or most noteworthy threads.

I will let others choose which of the QE2 and/or Queen Mary 2 threads they like.

Another fun thread: "Cheesiest Lines ("I'm the King of the World" won: Cheesiest Line in Titanic

And, finally, the most memorable recent thread: "Millvina (Dean) Has Passed Away" (May 31, 2009): Millvina has passed away
Now, I look forward to reading everybody else's contributions.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'd have to nominate the notorious South Pole thread, but I'm not saying where it is because those who've not yet discovered it may want to retain their sanity.

A

Andrew Williams

Being irredeemably frivolous and a treacherous friend, I'll start us off with Bob Godfrey confessing to wearing corsets What,
blush.gif
you cheeky devil Bob
I never knew that was you hidden secret.

Here's mine Bob, I love washing my hairy toes.
grin.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
When I was doing male modelling back in 1908 I was always first choice for the macho jobs. The original Marlboro Man - that was me. The bearded matelot on the Player's Navy Cut pack - me too. But in a slack week I do one job for Elsie Dowding's corset emporium and I'm never allowed to forget it!

206765.jpg

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
I must confess to laughing my guts out at both "Titanic on the Simpsons", and "Bollywood Remakes Cameron's Titanic":

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>These were definitely the ones we used to "Ensure that Extra Strength Tylenol sales improved", as regards our Moderators.<<

More like heavy duty industrial strength.

I was wondering if somebody would recall that Simpsons thread. We had some fun with that.

Jan 28, 2003
C'mon, Mike, get down off the fence! I didn't start the thread just to let everyone share hilarity - though that's a very good objective - so what tech threads do you think newer members should be guided towards?

I was a Moderator once. We don't have Tylenol here so I had to make do with aspirin. Older members who recall my relatively brief tenure in this job, will recognise that this thread is an extension of my obsession with order and method... or sorting stuff.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>so what tech threads do you think newer members should be guided towards?<<

Never really gave it a lot of thought though I suppose that ancient thread in Collisions Sinkings Theories which dealt at length with the ship-switch thing would be a nice start. Mark Chirnside and I had quite a time with one bloke in there.

Jan 28, 2003
So give us the link, Mike! Newer members here are now faced with an almost impossible task to sort out what they should / would like to read. I think we should give them a hand.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
A few of the latest board posts could go straight onto your list.
Over the years there have been a few funny / strange posts.
Oh yes, you were once a moderator weren't you Ms. Monica; and your name was mispelt wasn't it ?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Deliberately mispelled, Steve. Mon thought that Hall was so undistinguished and ordinary, but Ahll had a mysterious. middle-European ring to it. Or shades of the mystic east, perhaps. I did manage to persuade her not to call herself Mata Halli.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Good thinking, Steve. But that other bloke there - Beveridge. That's a bit pedestrian, suggests tea, coffee, cocoa. Not exciting at all. How about Bruce Pernod? Bruce Absinthe? Put it to him, I'm sure he'll want to give it some thought.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Here are the two threads from ET Members who sailed on the Queen Mary 2 and the QE2, in her final year.

"Queen Mary 2: The View From On Board":

and

"Queen Elizabeth 2: The View From On Board, Her Final Year":

BTW, some of the postings are "a tad honest", esp. regarding the Queen Mary 2's Maiden Voyage, and thoughts regarding "The Bluebird of Happiness" who served at the Mauretania Restaurant (QE2) in October 2008.
J.K. may, still, hope to see him on a later Cunard trip.
grin.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Monica, it was the "BELIEVE IT OR NOT" thread. See

You'll have to hit on the archived portion to go to the start.

Jan 28, 2003
Here's an interesting one.