Top tips for using the new board

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I hope you are getting to grips with the new board. Speaking for myself I think it's a great improvement and so much more enjoyable to use.

I don't feel that I have really scratched the surface of what is possible here yet but here are a few things I have noticed that may help you get more from the board.

1. Use tags: If you can, do mark up threads with tags. You can add up to 25 and they mean that related threads can be easily found.
  2. Add pictures: Pictures add so much to a story. If you have pictures that are related to your thread, why not add them. (As long as you have permission). You can either place them in your post (inline) or as attachments.
  3. Like the stuff you like: for the board to work it needs to be social. If see a post you think is interesting do hit either the Facebook fblike.PNG like at the top of the thread, or use the the other indicators: Twitter, Google + and so on. We also have our own like link which is on the post itself. You can use the Publish to Facebook checkbox when you submit a post. Please do use these helpful social tools to tell people about threads.
  4. Where to post: Try to post in the right general topic but if you go wrong don't worry. We can move the thread and leave a simple redirect.
  5. Get email updates: To get an email when a thread is updated click: "Click the Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes"
  6. Login with Facebook: If you use Facebook it's a doddle to sign in. Just click the blue CONNECT button.

One thing to say is that there are quite a few features of this software that I have hidden for the moment. But these will be unveiled once we have got to grips with the forum.

These are just a few of the things I have thought of so far. I'll add to the list as inspiration strikes!

fblike.PNG

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
It's a nice forum! much easier to use than the other, although I thought that was also well organized.

I like that we can see who's online, although I never understood the "invisible" option. I understand maybe wanting to use the board in privacy, so you aren't bothered, but the whole point of a board is to interact with others. LOL.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
If you were accustomed to checking the old board by using the "Last Day" search function, you can accomplish the same here by bookmarking this url: "https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/forums/search.php?do=getdaily." Do not bookmark the page you get from using that link; it will simply save the url for the results of that particular search. Using the url I put in the first sentence will generate a new search every time.

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
If you were accustomed to checking the old board by using the "Last Day" search function, you can accomplish the same here by bookmarking this url: "https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/forums/search.php?do=getdaily." Do not bookmark the page you get from using that link; it will simply save the url for the results of that particular search. Using the url I put in the first sentence will generate a new search every time.

For this board, I usually just go to new posts. For the old one, since posting was so scare, I just followed the yellow "new" arrow.