Toronto Ontario Canada Titanic People

David Whan

Oct 7, 2004
Hey there.

Just wanted to know if there were any other Titanic Enthusiasts in the Toronto, Ontario
area or am I hear alone. Would be cool to meet up with other people to chat about the Titanic.

Thanx.

Reactions: 1 user

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi David,

Nope, you're not alone. I also live in the great big city of Toronto and would enjoy discussing the Titanic over a pint of Guinness perhaps, or some other kind of beverage.

Welcome aboard, by the way!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

David Whan

Oct 7, 2004
Hello Jason

Many thanks for the welcome. While I might not take you up on a Guinness, I would take you up on the discussion over a pint of Molson Canadian!
happy.gif

I look forward to talking more with you.

Warmest Regards,

Dave

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi David,

You're welcome. A pint of Molson Canadian sounds good to me as well, plus it has a Titanic connection.

My schedule is pretty flexible, so let me know when and where you'd like to meet.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Nina Darcy

Dec 30, 2004
My goodness, more Torontonians!

Hello to both of you! I'm in Toronto too. What a neat surprise. Jason, I'm anxious to know what this Titanic connection is with Molson. Never would have guessed! But has, Guiness does too, hasn't it, considering the great ship's origins!

Excellent to see you both!

~Nina

David Whan

Oct 7, 2004
Hello Nina

If you look on the Titanic's 1st class passenger list, you will find a passenger by the name of Markland Molson. A man who was very wealthy as he had a hand in banking, shipping and was connected to Molson Brewing. Unfortunately, he didn't survive. It would be interesting to have seen what would have happened had he survived.

Nice to see another Torontonian on here. Welcome to the board.

Dave

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi David, Nina.

I was in Toronto in July 2003, and one of the highlights was when Jason and I visited Mount Pleasant Cemetery and saw the graves of Arthur Peuchen and the two Fortune women. Later we saw the grave of crewmember Emma Bliss, who is buried in another cemetery; "right now the name of that cemetery escapes me". We also saw the pictures of Arthur Peuchen at Casa Loma.

BTW, both Harry Markland Molson and Arthur Peuchen dined together on the night of April 14, 1912. With them were Bess and Hudson Allison, who brought along 2-year old Lorraine Allison with them; Bess wanted Lorraine to see what the dining room was like, that night. Of the five of them, only Major Peuchen survived.
There is a tribute plaque to Harry Molson at the Mont Royal Cemetery, in Montreal.

I hope to return to Toronto in 2006 or 2007; just need to work on building up my vacation time at work. Also, this May I'll be in Alberta, ans will look up property information for Arthur Peuchen, while I'm out there; any data obtained will be forwarded to Jason.

Nina Darcy

Dec 30, 2004
Is that right? Thank you for the information, I wasn't aware that there was a Molson onboard.

Thank you also for the information of the picture and grave of Major Peuchen, I was actually wondering where they were, and now I will certainly have to make a trip out to visit them.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Toronto, John, and best of luck on returning in the near future.

Nina

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Nina,

Markland Molson was a very interesting individual. Molson was a director of one of Peuchen's companies and they were also good friends.

If you're interested, you can e-mail me and I'll be happy to give you the information of where the survivors are located, or if you like we could meet up and I'd be happy to show them to you personally. Just click on my name on the left to get my e-mail. I've been doing some research into these people, namely Arthur Peuchen who's biography I'm currently writing for this site.

Actually, we have five survivors here; four are buried and one is in a mausoleum/crematorium.

Hi John,

"Later we saw the grave of crewmember Emma Bliss, who is buried in another cemetery; "right now the name of that cemetery escapes me"."

That would be Prospect Cemetery.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 7, 2002
When I was a manager at the Toronto Titanic exhibit, other than myself, we had ONE Titanic buff on staff- thats it- Jason Tiller, and HE is the one that made the experince worthwile, as he showed me that Toronto people do care about Titanic.
All of the paid Canadian managerial exhibit staff thought Titanic and the exhibit was a joke- for that, I was demoralized for most of that exhibit, as was glad when that exhibit was over...But it doesnt take away from the fact I thought the city was beautiful...
Hardly anyone came to visit, but blame that on SFX.
Jason and me were the only ones working there that cared...
regards

Tarn Stephanos

H

Harriet Collingham

quote:

we had ONE Titanic buff on staff- thats it- Jason Tiller, and HE is the one that made the experince worthwile, as he showed me that Toronto people do care about Titanic.

True to everything I have heard about Jason!
happy.gif
Is that the one I have seen the pictures of you from Jason?​

Greg Curtis

Apr 13, 2005
With regard to: "When I was a manager at the Toronto Titanic exhibit, other than myself, we had ONE Titanic buff on staff..."

I made numerous phone calls to get a job at that exhibit, and even volunteered my time as a guide, but all to no avail.

I felt my Titanic knowledge would be invaluable, having researched the ship for a quarter century, joining the THS in 1978, and being hired to do the research for "882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions about the Titanic" because of the resources in my collection.

It was a shame that most of the staff there were not interested in the ship, but I loved the exhibit and visited several times throughout its run.

P.S. Just in the middle of a move to Kingston, Ontario.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Greg,

Welcome aboard! It's unfortunate that you weren't able to work at the exhibition, Tarn and I could have used you. I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibit and goodness knows, I may have seen you during your visits.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Robin,

Great to hear you'll be visiting our wonderful city! It would be great to meet up! When in June are you going to be here and how long are you staying? If time permits and if you're interested, it would be my pleasure to show you the sites, including the Titanic related ones.