Torpedo strike on a WW2 ship

No problem and no need to apologize. I could see where the confusion could come from as modern day aerial torpedos are much small in diameter than their WW2 counterparts. Aviation Ordnance is just a quirk of mine as its what I did when I was in the navy.

mitfrc

It was actually that the US was anomalous (and successfully so, it seems), to other wartime practice. The British used the 18" as their standard aerial torpedo; Japan used 17.7", as did Italy and Germany.

No, they wouldn't have done.

When the Yamato was sent on a mission to attack the US ships landing against Okinawa it was pretty much always going to be a one way mission. The Japanese were becoming increasingly desperate by that stage.

The Yamato class battleships were big white elephants compared with the fleet carriers that redefined naval warfare in the Pacific.
I read up a little more on the Yamato. It seems their actual plan was to beach her so she couldn't be sunk and use her as a gun platform. They knew from start it was a one way mission. The captain had all the cadets transfered off the ship the day before leaving because he didnt want them killed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I understand they only had enough fuel for a one way trip also.
I have read that also. But I also just recently ran across this. This is from the article link below. Pretty interesting if true.
"Nevertheless, while the Japanese Naval General Staff instructed that each ship be given only enough fuel for a one-way trip to Okinawa, harbor officials risked execution by disobeying this order and refueling the entire SSAF to capacity, giving them more than enough oil to return home if they somehow survived."

Death of the Battleship: Sinking the Yamato and Musashi

Reactions: 1 user