Torrent Off Southern Alaskan Coast

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
First I've heard of it, Mark. I caught this story a bit ago, on my AT&T webpage and it noted that there are over 2,500 shipwrecks along Alaska's coast. Considering that the waters there can be every bit as unforgiving as the North Sea, this isn't much of a surprise.

Jun 12, 2004
I'm not surprised that the wreck's location was kept a secret to ward off looters, although with as many wrecks in that area, the fact of whether or not the ship's location has been kept a secret seems of little consequence considering that the vast grave yard is likely to draw scavengers anyway.

I figured you'd have heard of it, Mike, but I just thought I'd share it.

There seems to be a contradiction stated in the article: At the beginning, the Torrent (1867) is referred to as the oldest shipwreck in Alaska, whereas at the end, the Eclipse(?) (1806) is stated as the oldest. Did I misread that or was that a misprint? Both can't be! hmmm. Obviously the latter is the oldest.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>That's weird! I could have sworn I saw it near the end. Oh well.<<

You may have and it may have been edited out a bit later on. Either that or we both need to have a word with our optomitrist. Getting older ain't for the faint hearted, is it?

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

It's just that we tend not to prefer the alternative.

What, growing younger? That's the alternative, or the reverse to growing older. Or do you mean the alternate to the reverse of the reverse of growing older, which would be growing older? hehe. Sorry. I had to say that. I know what you mean, though, John.​