Towing the iceberg to Belfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2002
Belfast artist Rita Duffy is at the moment securing funds for her project to tow an iceberg from Norway to Belfast's Titanic Quarter to be the centrepiece of a Titanic project before 2008.

"The iceberg and the wreck of the Titanic is the main story of Belfast - the sad, interrupted journey of disbelief and disappointment. The iceberg could become a symbol of hope as it melts."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/02/23/nberg23.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/02/23/ixportal.html

Cheers,

Boz

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
A friend of mine from Ontario sent me the BBC News piece about it, as well.
Personally, I think this project is unrealistic, to be polite. There are too many considerations to note, especially when there are engineering and environmental facts to note.

My own thought: don't invest in this project; it appears to be a fantasy, more than anything.

I will leave it to the environmental and mechanical engineers to debate, further, the logistics and implications of such a venture.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
As the story says, bergs are routinely towed short distances by the oil industry. The problem I see, apart from great cost, is the depth of Belfast Lough. Anybody got a chart?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Good thinking, John! Just so long as they don't actually hit it this time.

"How many souls in Belfast?"
"280,000, Sir"
"And room for how many in the boats?"
"No boats, Sir, but we have 700 Corporation buses"
"I don't think the Board of Trade ever envisaged this situation."

Donald Wilson

Jan 30, 2007
The Board of Trade might not have envisaged this situation but the artist clearly has.....any news on any progress of this fantasy idea....I think the Polar Cap can't spare any extra ice anyway....has anyone watched the movie The Day After Tomorrow???

Status
Not open for further replies.