Toxic Scrapping

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From the article:
quote:

The contract is worth £16 million to the company and will create about 200 jobs.
That's the real bottom line here, and I have this nagging sense that the contractors who bid on the job are going to find out that they got way more then they bargained for.

Not long ago, the USS Coral Sea was scrapped, but at such a loss that the shipbreakers lost their shirts on the deal. That problem with toxic waste was one that cost them big money to handle properly and I don't think it's going to be any different in the UK.

W

Wayne Keen

A few months ago, I saw a program on cable about ships being scrapped in India. They were grounding the ships on the beach and going to work on them. Lots of men. Obviously being clean in what they did was not an issue.

sad.gif

Wayne

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Obviously being clean in what they did was not an issue.<<

That's what makes getting away with it all so much easier and cost effective for somebody interested in disposing of old ships. Unfortunately, the chickens are coming home to roost in the case of places like Alang. Old ships can be an often are a toxic witches brew of oil, old paint, hydraulic fliuds, asbestos, plastics, heavy metals, and the like and these places are paying the price for it. So are the people who work there. Eventually, the local authorities are going to realize that something is going to have to be done about it and the cleanup is going to be time consuming, labour intensive, and costly.