Tracking a Titanic survivor

DeCosmo

Mar 23, 2013
Wilkes-Barre,PA/ U.S.A.
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with a "Titanic mystery?" The following is an article from a Pennsylvania newspaper recalling an article orignally posted 100 years earlier
The Express Times/ Lehigh Valley
March 12., 2013
100 years ago today
1913: Orphaned again: "Twelve-year-old Viola Wells, whose parents were lost in the
Titanic disaster, lost her foster father when John Rady, boss spinner at the Lackawanna
Knitting Mills near Scranton, was crushed to death in the machinery. Rady was repairing
a rod on a 'spinning mule' when an employee there started the machine. His clothing caught
on the belt and his body was drawn up into the machine, which had crushed his skull and
shoulders before it was stopped. The Wells child was taken from a New York orphanage in
September last. Rady had adopted her as a legal heir."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've been unable to find any additional information of Viola Wells (adopted by John Rady) after the article regarding
her adopted father's death in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Additionally, I see no mention of a Viola Wells on the list of
survivors. Can anyone shed any light on this individual and, perhaps, add to our knowledge as to what happened to
her after her adopted father's tragic death? If so, please reply here and, perhaps, send an email to me at [email protected]
Thanks for any help any of you may be able to offer!!!!!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I believe the only surviving child to lose both parents in the disaster was baby Trevor Allison. Of course a child would not have needed to be on board the ship to lose both parents in the sinking, but I can't recall that any suffered such a loss. There was certainly nobody on board with the first name Viola, and nobody called Wells other than 2nd Class passengers Mrs Addie Wells and her two children, Joan and Ralph. All three survived.

DeCosmo

Mar 23, 2013
Wilkes-Barre,PA/ U.S.A.
Thank you Bob. This raises the question as to whether this young lady, reportedly adopted from New York City, may have come to the United States before her parents, perhaps with another family member. But, if that's the case, one would tend to believe that other family member would have cared for the young lady. Indeed...another Titanic mystery! Perhaps someone else may have additional information. I'm hoping so!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Wrong disaster, perhaps. But not a Titanic mystery, as there was nobody on board who fits the bill. Most likely journalistic invention, or perhaps a story cooked up by an orphanage proprietor with too many mouths to feed - or even a very clever little girl. Who's heart would not melt when confronted with a waif who'd supposedly lost her parents in such a dramatic way?