Training and Getting a Job

Oct 14, 2003
Hey all!

I was wondering, how did these steward/esses get their jobs? I mean, did they have to go through some sort of training or have certain experience/references or was it kinda a free for all?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I can only go by the experience of a couple of stewardesses. Aussie stewardess, Evelyn Marsden, first went to sea as a shipboard companion for a passenger who was unwell. She then drifted into becoming a stewardess. There was no formal training, but Evelyn had some training in nursing and that would have helped her chances. Evelyn's choice paid off when she met and married a ship's doctor and settled down on shore. (Quite a handsome hunk he was too!)

Violet Jessop followed in her stewardess mother's wake. Violet was relatively well educated and could possibly have found a good job on shore, but she evidently decided the sea was for her. She stuck with it for many years, though it seems she didn't always find it much fun.

There must be as many diverse stories as there were stewardesses.

Somebody said, "Life is what happens to you while you are planning other things." This probably applied to many of the crew.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>She stuck with it for many years, though it seems she didn't always find it much fun.<<

Well, one collision in port and two sinkings couldn't have been the high marks in her life. By chance was Violet involved in any other casualties? I don't recall her mentioning any in her memoirs, but I may have missed it.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I wasn't thinking of the accidents so much as her lengthy complaints about her fellow workers. See Chapter 19 of her book for details.