Translating the first Titanic novel into English

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

I have been approached by some people who had read my article in "The Titanic in Myth and Memory" (eds. Bergfelder & Street) about the Swedish novel "Dödsfärden" by William A:son Grebst (see thread on Very early Titanic novels) and they are now trying to persuade me into translating it into English.
Written in mid-1912, it is most likely the first Titanic novel ever written, and would thus be of historic importance. I thus thought that I would fish for some response from the Titanic board: do you think that there would be any interest in such a thing?

The link below should take you to a picture of the original book.

Best, Peter Bjorkfors

dscn1290.jpg

May 9, 2006
Hi,

I certainly would be interested in an English version of the novel. I have just read (or re-read) some of the early German novels (Prechtl, Felinau) and will try to get hold of some more if possible. It would be very good to compare them to something written in a different country and a lot earlier.

Cheers, Monika

May 2, 2006
London
I think that Dodsfarden means Voyage of Death or something similar, but don't count on that being correct...

Peter, I think that you should translate it as it could be very interesting!

Carla

May 9, 2006
Hi Peter,

I was just wondering if you've decided by now whether you want to translate 'Dodsfarden' and, if so, how it is going?

I've just read your article about it in The Titanic in Myth and Memory and that really whetted my appetite. 'Dodsfarden' does really sound like a fascinating book. Particularly, as you point out, that some of the topoi presented in the book have stayed with us since then: For example that while the main character travels first class, he/she disdain its luxuries and extravagance, or the introduction of a fictional hero who is from the country of the book's/film's origin.

I was also fascinated by the fact that Esko Waltala more or less stole the entire story and changed hardly anything but the names and origins of the main characters. Have you found out more about Waltala since you wrote the article?

Best wishes, Monika

Status
Not open for further replies.