Trapped Russian Sub

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Apparently, the minisubs propellor got tangled up by fishing nets and what the article described as "Some kind of cable." (A telephone or telegraph cable perhaps?). This time around, they're not making the same mistake they did with the Kursk. The Russian Navy is actively seeking help from other nations.

May 9, 2001
With less than 24 hrs of O2 on board, it may be impossible for the needed equipment to arrive onsite in time to save anyone.

I wonder if the MIR crews on Keldysh know any of these lads stuck down there?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

The Russian Navy is actively seeking help from other nations.

It's good to see this time around, since they were heavily criticized five years ago.

Just a week to go, until the fifth anniversary of the Kursk disaster and it happens again, except the circumstances are different. Somehow, I pray that the rescue equipment will arrive in time, but the clock may run out.

May 9, 2001
These incomplete reports are eerily similar to the first reports about Titanic on the Monday after. Don't you think?
They thought the ship was possibly in tow to Halifax NS. I'm sure many people's hearts hung desperately onto the more positive reports. But of course the sad truth was finally revealed.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Yuri,

quote:

These incomplete reports are eerily similar to the first reports about Titanic on the Monday after. Don't you think?

Yes, the media has been known to be dead wrong before on reports such as this, and they will continue to do so. Let's just hope that what they are reporting, is in fact true and not an incorrect statement.

May 9, 2001
Some very lucky commrades! This rescue sets a great precedent for future international marine rescue efforts. If, Godforbid, a MIR or the Nautile, or Alvin ever became stuck at Titanic, then at least we know there would be the possibility of rescue from around the world.

But that said, this Russian sub was only @600 feet deep. Not 13,000+ feet. Still, great news to see they made it back.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Without beating the drum too much, what I thought was interesting about the Royal Navy's successful use of their submersible was that it supports Paul Lee's? claims that it was the Royal Navy who first found Titanic in 1977. (sorry that is such a long sentence)

W

Wayne Keen

For the slow at mind here (me), how does it support the claim?

Wayne

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Wayne

"For the slow at mind here, how does it support the claim"

Only in as much that it demonstrates the expertise of the Royal Navy. In 1977, during the cold war, they were not going to tell anyone they had found the Titanic and let the Russians know how advanced the R.N's underwater equipment was - so the theory goes.

May 9, 2001
What rumor? That's the first I've heard of it. Can you repeat it here?

I never even knew the RN was looking for Titanic back in the 70's.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Yuri

I don't think they were looking specifically for the Titanic, they just came across it.

Have a look at Paul Lee's website. http://www.paullee.com When you go into it, just page down. I think you will find it a very interesting story.

Regards Ernie

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Yuri

It has the ring of truth and there is quite a bit of corroboration, I thought. Who knows what goes on - there was no reason for it to be a myth.

W

Wayne Keen

Hi Ernie,

OK, I just thought I was missing something other than general good expertise.

Thanks,

Wayne

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>there was no reason for it to be a myth.<<

I wouldn't make that assumption. Mythmaking is something that people are very adept at and even from very recent events. None of this rules out the possibility that the Royal Navy or any other NATO nation may not have scanned the Titanic's wrecksite on sonar, but this isn't the sort of thing they'ed be inclined to advertise either.