Trimmer Percival Albert Blake urgent request

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
Percival Albert Blake was a trimmer from the Titanic, and like so may other crew members, he resided in Southampton. On the night of 14/15th April 1912, Percival survived the Titanic disaster by escaping in lifeboat 15. It is believed, he continued to work for the White Star Line following the catastrophe, and he remained a resident of Hampshire until his death in the late 1960's. Percival Blake bequeathed a number of documents relating to his career, including a Discharge Book and a rare photo of him standing with other surviving Titanic crew members. For reasons not entirely clear, does anyone know the current whereabouts of these items, as his family would like to have them returned?

Apr 27, 2003
John - Ref your enquiry about Percival Albert Blake - recently while looking at some old videos trying to trace something else I remembered seeing the Discharge Book you mention displayed in an exhibition case by the British Titanic Society (then Joint Secretary) Steve Rigby at their 1998 Convention at the Southampton Hilton Hotel - it shows Steve Rigby actually showing the book to the well known BBC Auctioneer Lars Tharp and they are discussing it.
The video I have was taped from the Channel Five documentary call Titanic Tales - I hope you have a copy?.
I hope this information is of some use?
Cheers Brian

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
Hello Brian, yes, I do indeed have a copy of the Titanic Tales documentary (thanks), and had already noted the parts you mention. Do you know that pictures of the Percival Blake Discharge Book and crew photograph are also published in the Leo Marriot book, Titanic? In anticipation of your next question; Steve Rigby from the BTS, told me these items were returned to the Blake family, but unfortunately, they mysteriously disappeared in transit and were never received (!). Given the material and sentimental value of these items the Blake family are understandably very upset about it. If anyone could shed some light on the current whereabouts of these items, I would much appreciate it…