Trip of a Lifetime

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
I just want to know why everyone selling Titanic related things at outrageous prices have no bid histories at all. They're all a "0"!

It's not very reassuring.

The first male on this thread (woo-hoo!),
Josh.

M

michelle schwindt

Hi Joshua, no kidding. That was the first thing I noticed next to the seller's name. A big fat zero. I love eBay and sell quite a bit of stuff myself, and for some reason, this item seems just a tad to outrageous. It can't possibly be for real can it? If it's a joke, I guess some people just have too much time on their hands. -Michelle

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
It may be real but the price is unreal. I believe the usual price is about $30,000 US.

Of course, if you are Andrew Rogers you just win a ticket in a raffle. (Exit, mad with jealousy)

M

michelle schwindt

Hi! As I am new to this site and the topic of Titanic has just recently got a hold on me, maybe I am missing something. Are public trips down to the Titanic common knowledge? I just have not heard anything about this yet. Maybe I am missing something. When the Russian guy went into space, it was all over the news. I thought I would have heard that public trips are now being offered - for a price. Maybe not. I guess I am not much of a risk taker or thrill seeker, but you could not pay me enough to go down there. The Titanic Exhibit left quite an impression on me & seeing the real thing would probably be a bit too much!

C

Christine Geyer

Ho Ho Ho.. surfin' through eBay I just saw there is/was another auction "Trip to Titanic" with a starting bid of $ 400,000.00. Uh...

Michelle, there is one firm who offers dives to the wreck. If you go to www.subseaexplorer.com you'll see the price for a dive is $ 35,000.00. I have seen the exhibition too and it was very impressive for me too but if I had the chance I'd hop right into MIR faster than Ben Johnson ran through the target tape.

Many regards
Christine

Dec 13, 1999
Two Officers of the British Titanic Society have been offered a free dive to the Titanic by Sub-Sea Explorer Co. These being Steve Rigby and myself. Will let you know when the proposed visit is about to take place.

Dec 13, 1999
Plenty! I get claustrophobic in a telephone booth! - I KNOW that there is no way I could make it for that period of time, so Steve is doing the dive and I'm going to stay above sea level as "Historian"! He's promised to send me a postcard from down there!

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Geoff, lets you and me go! Think about it! With us in the submersible, they could get down there in 16 minutes! 'Course, getting us back up again may be a problem...

Your gramps,
Helen

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Geoff:
Ok. Here's the new plan. I go with you as your research assistant, or personal assistant, or personal trainer, or personal analyst, or personal spiritual advisor, whatever will work (hey, I'm an actor; I'll "be" whatever it takes) Cook, you'll write me a monologue of official sounding things to say, right. No one will be the wiser. I promise to be a good girl; I promise I'll not say too many silly things. I'll just blend right in. No one will ever know I wasn't invited. Pleeeeease that me wiiiiiiitttthhhh yoooooouuuuu.
-kate "waiting by the door with her bags packed" bortner.
smile.gif

Dec 13, 1999
Cook, I think the biggest problem might be getting us through the hatch! Just imagine the butter they would have to use!

Kate, Steve will need you with him to open the sub door once you have reached the bottom, this will enable him to get out and post my postcard to me! Keep them bags packed girl!

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
I'm there!!! Just tell me where to go. (no. that's not exactly what I mean. . . )
wink.gif

Cook & Geoff~ give yourselves a break. Review you 97 Titanic video again. Those were not exactly 98 lb. weaklings in there with "Brody"!!!
Hey, I'll jettison my right leg if it'll make the trip a "go".
-kate "you bet your sweet bippy my bags are still packed" bortner.

A

Andrew Rogers

As Dave said it cost me nothing! but my wife often regrets ever putting my name on THAT entry form.
She thinks she has created a monster.

Michelle,
About 50 people have been to the Titanic on the "public trips". Last week a bunch of tourists came back from the Bismarck and in a few weeks the next lot are off on the Titanic "trip of a lifetime"

Geoff,
GO!

Andrew Rogers

C

Christine Geyer

*wakingupveryslowly*

Ehhhrrr... Geoff I would squeeze myself into a NUTSHELL for the dive !! Just forget about claustrophobia. But well... hm... otherwise... Alright REMEMBER it and take me with you ! I'll tie a headscarf around my head, mumble some russian phrases, clean the MIR inside and - POFF - surprise - the charming little cleaning lady was forgotten inside when the dive starts. Come on, I'd even clean it with my HAIR !!! *creepinghumblearoundonthefloor*

Or should I wear my sea-horse-costume to make it look more inconspicuous ?

My oh my ...
Christine

Dec 13, 1999
The next dive is planned for late July/early August, depending on weather conditions. My colleague, Steve Rigby, is going to be making the dive, I will probably go in my capacity as "Historian" whatever that means! next May. Having seen the list of conditions, questions and instructions has quite put me off! I will keep THe Board informed of happenings.

Geoff