1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Trip to England

Discussion in 'UK except Southampton' started by B-rad, Jun 15, 2018.

1. B-rad

B-rad Member

The wife and I will be going to England and visiting Liverpool, London and Southampton later this year, I want to see if anyone has ideals of places to see or go Titanic related, and what's the best way to go about seeing the sites. The more I can plan ahead the better. If anyone lives in those parts, perhaps a pub visit for a quick geek out may be in order. Anyways thanks in advance. PS probably no archive visits, as my Wife nearly died from boredom as I went through the US archives lol, bless her soul (she's the best)!

Harland Duzen likes this.
  2. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

Not so much a site but a journey. You could catch a train from London Waterloo station to Southampton Central to (almost) recreate the boat train journey.

B-rad likes this.
  3. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

If you stop off in the Midlands on the way down from Liverpool, visit the Black Country Living Museum. The region got its name from all of the heavy industry in the area and the coal in the ground. Due to the number of foundries and other works it was said to be black by day and red by night.

The Titanic connection? Titanic's anchors were made just down the road from the museum in Dudley. They were transported by horse from the works to a railway yard just next to the site of the Museum. There are some pictures of this in the museum plus a recreation of an iron works, a coal mine and recreations of buildings, houses and shops of the period. It's fantastic to see what life in Britain was like around the period Titanic was built.

Well worth a visit.

Black Country Living Museum - Museums Dudley, Birmingham, West Midlands

(I live 20 minutes drive from the museum so could meet for a beer)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  4. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

How confidential! I'm also going to Liverpool later this year in late July (I hope to go to LIMF) !

From my own preparations, in Liverpool at least, there is:
    • Liverpool Waterfront and Prince Landing stage (Olympic docked there June 1st 1911 and other White Star and Cunard ships docked passengers there).
    In terms of Titanic and Steam Trains, if your interested:
    • The sole remaining T9 Locomotive (commonly stated to been used for the Titanic's Boat Train) is currently located at the Bodmin and Wenford Railway.
    • A Boat Train Carriage used for the L&SW Boat Train according to this website (Bluebell Railway - LSWR coach project) is at the Bluebell railway and makes up their "Edwardian Train" (I don't know when it's in use however).
    Hope this helps and I mention more if I find any.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    B-rad likes this.
  5. B-rad

B-rad Member

I'll see what the wife says about stopping there!

6. Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner Member

Hi B-rad,
    Add to your UK visit. Kempton Steam Museum near Heathrow airport were the worlds largest working steam engine is housed and steam up seven times a year. Been an triple expansion engine its the nearest you will find as used in the Titanic. Certainly standing on the turbine floor gives you a good idea how big this engines were. A good display of the internal working of an steam turbine been turn over slowly by a electric motor is on show too. Documentaries on Titanic engine use this triple expansion engine. There is a film crew there now in progress on another documentary. On what I can't say. Kempton Steam Museum is on the website. If cannot make steam up days weekends there is ever Tuesday and Thursday were a group of dedicated volunteers keeping the engine running. May give you a non working guided tour. As one of the guided tours person for steam up weekends. I can if around give you a non steam tour on those two days.
    I see Southampton has been mention were the Sea City Museum has a large section on Titanic. Then the SS Shieldhall steam ship using triple expansion engines were you can walk around the engine room inches away from the working engines getting the smell, noise with ambient and heat. The ship at Berth 48 four away from Titanic Berth 44 which is still in full use as brand car transport terminal. Shieldhall can be found on website. Guided tours around Southampton connected with Titanic days. The only question I see will you have time for all this place to visited? Belfast too! well worth a visit to.
    Mike.

B-rad likes this.
  7. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Just a quick fact, but the Kempton Steam Museum was used for the Engine Room Scenes in Britannic (2000).

Back To Topic!

B-rad likes this.
  8. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

The actual wall panel from the Olympic's Grand Staircase (taken off the ship before she was scrapped) was located at the old Southampton Maritime Museum about 10 years ago. The building has since closed. Does anyone know if the wall panel was moved to the newer museum in Southampton or is it currently kept in storage somewhere?

upload_2018-6-19_13-21-38.jpeg

upload_2018-6-19_13-21-42.png

B-rad likes this.
  9. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I when to SeaCity in Mid 2017 and it was located there. Not to sure if it's been moved or is currently on a travelling exhibit.

B-rad and Aaron_2016 like this.
  10. B-rad

B-rad Member

Southampton is strictly for my Titanic geekness. Spending a whole day (staying night) there. Liverpool is mostly going to be Beatles related as we are going to be there on Lennon's b-day, with some titanic stuff thrown in. Going to be there 2 days. London has the most days, with us going to watch the American football team Seahawks (we're from Seattle area). So in short busy schedule, trying map everything to see how much time we can squeeze in, we're pretty good at doing city's in one or two days, we hit the ground running. Lol

So berth 44 is not open to public but 48 is?
    Yeah if we go those dates to steam museum ill let u know, still might hit u up anyways. We have time to kill between Heathrow and catching the train to Liverpool. Only thing is we'll have all our baggage.

11. B-rad

B-rad Member

Ps no Belfast this trip. Was thinking Dublin (I'm a huge U2 fan) not can't fit Ireland in.

12. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

13. B-rad

B-rad Member

I did not know this. Great info thanks. The only thing we have really looked into is The Magical Mystery Tour. I'm excited to see the propeller, which I did know of.

14. Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner Member

The next Kempton Steam up 22-23 September 2018. With the Classic cars and bikes show on Sunday only. Seem to get bigger every year as anybody who has a drivable vehicle more than 50 years old turns up! including America cars, to the point we running out of out room for all.
    19 Coaches run from Southampton to Heathrow everyday half the price as trains about 65 miles 95% motorway. No more than hour half run. Staines Town bus terminal is nearest to Kempton only 5 miles from Heathrow. I see if there is a coach service there from Southampton. Staines also had a Titanic connection were the top quality lino came from. Staines Lino Ltd. I am afraid all the factory has gone now and turned into a shopping centre! If around give me call 07770350474.
    Mike.

B-rad likes this.
  15. Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner Member

I am not too sure if Kempton engine was used in the film. The dead give away is the engines has two heavy flywheels and painted green. As Titanic did not have flywheels. The propeller is the flywheel. Certainly in the SOS film was Kempton. The film Night to Remember 1958 flooding of engine room was at Kempton first engine building using Lilleshall triple expansion engines. Engines have all gone but one govern still remains and run via a electric motor.
    Mike.

16. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

17. B-rad

B-rad Member

Nice. I won't be there until mid October. The wife is down. Probably hit it up the day before we had out, after Southampton, when we get a hotel closer to Heathrow.

18. Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner Member

Hi B-rad,
    For Kempton steam up there is one in October 20-21. There is a Premier Inn (hotel) in Sunbury on Thames. Five miles from Heathrow and 0.8 mile from Kempton Museum. I live in Sunbury and can offer a lift?
    Mike.

19. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Here's another minor thing to check out in Liverpool; The Tugboat MV Brocklebank. This tugboat belonged to the Alexandra Towing Company which provided Tugboats for Titanic's launch and departure from Belfast along with other tasks including helping to free the grounded Suevic in 1907.

This tugboat worked in the 1960's but might be worth walking by in the Albert Docks.

20. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

If we were going to start a fun page listing tenuous links to the Titanic, I nominate that to start it.

;)