Triskaidekaphobia aboard Titanic

Mar 3, 1998
Here's a trivial observation that some might find amusing.

During my study of Olympic photos as research for the construction of my CG Turkish Bath model, I found that the valuables locker in the Cooling Room had 15 drawers, numbered 1 through 16. I didn't understand this until I found that there was no drawer numbered 13.

The term triskaidekaphobia was first coined in 1911 to describe a fear of the number 13, but it would seem that the outfitters at H&W were already well aware of the phenomenon by that time.

Apr 11, 2001
Fascinating. Hotels and public buildings from that period I find had no 13th floor, and it used to be thought very risky sitting down 13 to dinner, a last minute guest would be solicited to make a 14th.

Mar 3, 1998
>You mean someone invented a new phobia??

You know, there's probably people out there who like to think about and discuss phobias as we do Titanic. To each his own, I guess.

Parks

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There's more fun with number 13 in Titanic, the Psychic and the Sea.

According to the author, survivor Edwina Troutt once lived at 13 Newark St, Bath. Two of her husbands were born on the 13th. She got her driver's license on the 13th. She stayed in room 13 at a THS convention and travelled to New York on the 13th to be on TV. She went to sea 13 times. She escaped in lifeboat 13.

Finally, Titanic sank in 1912. The digits in that year add up to 13.

Lawrence Beesley also was in boat 13, which performed very well and saved many. He said that he was tempted to go and live in a house numbered 13, or to make up 13 people at a dinner.