Trivia

C

Chris Nicholson

I saw this post awile ago made by a fellow named nunya buisness. It had some pretty good questions but noone ansewred it. I thought I would repost it. I haven't been able to locate it again. But I thought I would take his question and add a couple of my own. For you Titanic Buffs these questions should be a piece of cake.

1. How did lord pierre know Thomas Andrews?
2. What was bruce ismay's real First name?
3. What was captian Smith's middle name.
4.Under the poop deck their were 2 rooms. Which room was on the starboard side and which was on the port.
5.Even though robert ballard was the head of the titanic expedition, who really was the man who discovered the wreck?
6.what was the company that robert bALLARD FOUNDED?
7.What is the name of the rumered fourth and bigger sister?
8.Who discovered the britanic?
9.In what year did the Olympic finish her post war refit?
10.What was he name of the person that was born on the ship.

Apr 22, 2012
I'm willing to take a stab at it.

01. Thomas Andrews was Lord Pirrie's nephew.
02. His real first name was Joseph.
03. His middle name was John.
04. The third class General Room was on the starboard side; (?)
05. (?)
06. The J.A.S.O.N. Foundation of Education.
07. I have heard that this vessel was supposed to be smaller and called Germanic. That was later switched to Homeric; the ship was never built. I got this from a past thread on Other Ships and Shipwrecks.
08. Jacques Cousteau discovered her.
09. August, 1934.(?)
10. I have never heard of anyone actually being born on board Titanic, although several were conceived. I would like to know the source for this question.

There! I tried. A few lifelines would have been helpful!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Apr 23, 2002
1) His nephew
2) Joseph
3) John
4) 3 Class General Rm and 3 Class Smoke Rm
5) Jean Louis Michel?
6) JASON
7) Germanic / Homeric (33,600 Tons)
8) Jaques Cousteau
9) 17th June 1920 left Belfast after War Refit
10) N/A Ellen Walker was concevied 'on board'

Apr 22, 2012
Of course: The third class Smoking Room! How could forget that!? Of course, I just guessed on Olympic's refit date, since I had no idea. I new someone had been conceived on board, but the question was who was born on the ship. I suppose it was just worded wrong. Good job, Greg!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

C

Chris Nicholson

Good job people! You ansered them all easily. as for the last question, sorry I was thinking of another ship.

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
OK,how about another one!!
Remember the Kevin Bacon game?
Lets see if you can connect Jamie Farr to the Titanic in 6 moves or less!!! Go!
-Don

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Jamie Farr played in MASH as Klinger
Rosalind Chao played his girlfriend/wife on MASH
Rosalind Chao played on Star Trek:The Next Generation as Keiko O'Brien
David Warner played the role of Gul Madred on Star Trek: The Next Generation
David Warner played Spicer Lovejoy in Cameron's Titanic

Apr 11, 2001
Hot stuff! Yes- last summer's pastime- Six Degrees of Titanic is still under the MOVIES topic and raring to re-open!

Dec 4, 2000
Jamie Farr rode on my boat the other night. We took only a short harbor cruise despite his interest in the revived waterfront of his hometown, Toledo. He was here to host the LPGA tournament named in his honor. No, we did not talk about Titanic.

-- David G. Brown

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Very good David!!!
I was going the other way with Jamie!!!
He was in MASH with Lorretta Swit.
Swit was in Blake Edwards "SOB" with Robert Vaughn.
Robert Vaughn was in Man From Uncle with David Mcallum.
And of course, David Mcallum was Bride in ANTR!!!
-Don

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
Jamie Farr was in, sorry, Cannonball Run, as was Roger Moore

Roger Moore was in The Persuaders, working for The Judge - who was played by Laurence Naismith

And Laurence Naismith was... well, do I really need to tell you ?

Boy, I watch a lot of right old guff...

R

Richard Robinson

I watched a show on TV that said the original version of the movie "the poseidon adventure" was playing at the time of the collision. Is this true, and is there a web site that gives the details of this irony?

A

Alex McLean

Richard,
Most certainly not. There was no actual cinema to show this movie on in the first place, and I am not even fully sure it was made, or even thought of, at the time of the sinking.

Hope this helps, and by the way, welcome to the board!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
As Alex says, there was no cinema on board, cinema being an entertainment for the lower classes in those days. The Poseidon Adventure of course is a modern movie. I'm no movie fan and I'll guess at the late 1960s.

A huge proportion of anything about Titanic on TV is pure equine ordure, like so much media coverage of maritime affairs.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Actually, I see it was 1972. Not too bad for somebody who has seen maybe five or six movies in cinemas in thirty years.