Trivia

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Just a quick warning about that Snopes link for those not familiar with this most excellent of on-line resources dealing with urban legends.

The Poseidon/Titanic story is part of the section of the site titled The Repository of Lost Legends. Check out what that's an acryonym for, and you'll see how serious the Snopes duo are about this story. I know that it has been queried in the past, and they're constantly amazed that folks don't check out the false link down the bottom to the IMdB entry for Poseidon Adventure (1911). IF that doesn't clue you in, check out the next link: More information about this page http://www.snopes2.com/lost/false.htm

It spells out the moral of what Snopes is doing with The Repository of Lost Legends very clearly.

If the Poseidon Adventure yarn has indeed made it onto a TV programme, it's exactly the sort of sloppy research that Snopes is trying to highlight.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Don't be so sure, Inger. I have before me the Blockbusters receipt for the actual DVD, dated April 10th 1912 and signed by Captain Smith. I bought it from a very reliable source who swore me to secrecy. I won't say who it was, but I understand he needed the cash to get to the cinema more often. If anyone wants to make me an offer, I also have Lawrence Beesley's 2nd Class library receipt for 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
LoL! Oooo....what was that about the ring of authority? I'll buy the DVD from you! Hang on...credit card is around here somewhere...think I used it last night to buy a t-shirt designed for Sid Vicious by Lucile. I know that's the real deal, as http://www.Ihaveabridgetosellyou.com have authenticated it as part of her 'Summer of Discontent' range

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
As Alex says, there was no cinema on board, cinema being an entertainment for the lower classes in those days.

Interesting point, Dave. James Moody, not in a position to spend freely, once wrote of attending 'vaudeville' performances in his pre-WSL days. He noted that what the Americans called 'vaudeville' was mostly 'moving pictures', but that some were more akin to the music halls of home.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Don't waste your money on those T-shirts 'designed by Lucile', Inger. I know for a fact that Randy has them knocked out wholesale from a lttle workshop in the Old Kent Road. If you want something really authentic, I've got a pair of Lucile's Doc Martins coming in next week.

On the subject of early cinema, had the Titanic been equipped with a projector it would have been just a little too early for any feature-length productions from Hollywood. The first feature made in the US was 'Oliver Twist', released in May, 1912. And the first made in the UK was ... wait for it ... 'Oliver Twist' in August, 1912. Variety was the spice of life in those days! But, had he existed, a Titanic 'kinema steward' could have shown early features made in France, like 'Les Miserables' (1909) or in Australia, like 'The Story of the Kelly Gang' (1906). Wonder if that's one of those five films Dave has seen?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Bob, sadly most of The story of the Kelly Gang has been lost. I've seen only a few snippets of it.

In Australia, the Salvation Army made Soldiers of the Cross very early in the history of cinema. It believe it was partly film, partly slides and partly stage action. I'll hunt it up.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Dave, there was a very early Australian short, usually listed as untitled, made by Joseph Perry of the Sally Army in 1897. The theme was of a man jailed for stealing bread and then aided on his release by the Army's 'Prisongate Brigade'. Could that be it?

It's interesting, btw, that the film industry in Oz not only beat the Brits to a head start, but the Kelly film is generally reckoned to be the first feature-length film made anywhere.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Thanks for the links, Dave - fascinating stuff. The film I mentioned could possibly have been the one listed there as 'Social Salvation', but it would have been very short - only 75 feet of film, so less than a minute. More like a on-screen commercial. But that, more or less, is what it was.

S

Susan Leighton

Richard,
I hope you realize we (they) are all kidding here. Please feel free to ask questions or comment whenever you like. We welcome you to the forum.

BTW...that Urban Legends website is great. It has been an invaluable resource for me to prove to my friends and co-workers that the 'story they heard'...or the 'e-mail they received' about something is totally false. I try to offer the proof as gently as I can, but some of the stories have been around so long that people refuse to believe they are not true...they seem heart-broken to discover that Elvis really is dead.
Susan Y. Leighton

A

Alex McLean

Yes Richard,
I hope I, and everyone else here, didn't come off as anything bad, rude or obnoxious in any way. We all hope you enjoy your stay here.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Here's a bit of trivia to get you researching.

What will Tony Blair soon have in common with Sir Arthur Rostron?

Hint: It won't be a knighthood.

S

Susan Leighton

Could it be the "Congressional Gold Medal" or the "Ellis Island Medal of Honour"??!!

Susan Y. Leighton

S

Susan Leighton

Dave,
Okay, you're going to have to give me a better hint. This is way to broad. Are you referring to a specific distinction or something they both 'did'?
Susan Y. Leighton

S

Susan Leighton

A cigar brings up those horrific images associated with a certain [US] government official who shall remain nameless...
but...how about a medal...or at least a chest to pin it on.
Forgive my feeble attempt at humour, but my research on this has exhausted me. Now it seems that Dave, himself, has left me hanging... without another hint...and I shall surely have a restless night. But hey...what the heck... the Braves are in extra innings, perhaps they will inspire me to continue my pursuit for the answer.
crazy.gif

Susan Y. Leighton