Trumpeter 1/200 Scale

Vesihiisi

Feb 13, 2020
I am waiting mine to ship from Germany. Lowest I have seen pricewise is 299€ on ebay.

Too bad Trumpeter didn't release a wooden deck and you have to pay additional 160€ to get one... shame.

Vesihiisi

Feb 13, 2020
No rigging or instructions on how to rig the ship.
Thought Trumpeter really wanted to make this model good... and they miss the entire rigging. :rolleyes:

good thing I have this old gem of a book at shelf and some extra rigging stuff available.

Maybe the rigging is included in the add-on box you can buy for 165€/180$ :mad:

Attachments

Feb 10, 2020
No rigging or instructions on how to rig the ship.
what I have found so far is no sounding boom, the expansion joints are marked on the promenade deck but not on the boat deck, No steering wheel in the wheelhouse !! only on the emergency steering position on the poop deck , these small anomalies don't bother me just annoying for such a expensive kit. The extra detail set can only be purchased directly from trumpeter, Having pointed out those items I have to say its a stunning kit, I will wait and see what else is coming out from aftermarket companies but in the mean time start drilling out port holes.
regards Robin Carpenter

Reactions: 1 user

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Trumpeter tried developing a kit of this iconic ship that is so well known by so many without an adequate set of plans. It’s clear that nobody at Trumpeter really knows Titanic.

Roadrunner

Feb 21, 2020
Those of you who think the kit is "junk" - what other 1/200 injection molded kit are you going to build? You expect perfection in everything? The kit is far from perfect, but it's far and away the most accurate model kit ever made of the Titanic, and it beats every other 1/200 model of the Olympic class ships out there. Do you want Trumpeter to build it for you too? SMH.

Feb 10, 2020
I don't see the kit as junk, it has some faults but every plastic kit will have some kind of flaw, I have had the kit for just over a week now and have studied the major components, this kit will build into a stunning looking ship. The lighting system requires careful consideration , 5 mm LED lights just sat on the deck is something I will leave out, the real ship as far as I can make out did not have illuminated funnels, I have a controllable railway system which I will install in the upper structures and maybe use the LED tape strip supplied with the kit for the hull. I will possibly start a build thread soon.

Regards Robin Carpenter

Vesihiisi

Feb 13, 2020
Testing the led lights on the upper part of the hull and bottom part together. Funnels just for photo reasons.

IMG_20200224_184630.jpg

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
The Trumpeter Titanic is a good kit for novice to average modelers and those who don't really know Titanic very well.

Reactions: 1 users
Dec 31, 2019
Indiana
Those of you who think the kit is "junk" - what other 1/200 injection molded kit are you going to build? You expect perfection in everything? The kit is far from perfect, but it's far and away the most accurate model kit ever made of the Titanic, and it beats every other 1/200 model of the Olympic class ships out there. Do you want Trumpeter to build it for you too? SMH.
The way I we it the reason why people build models is o Make them perfect and if some modifying is in order so be it.

Swezam

Feb 27, 2020
The Trumpeter Titanic is a good kit for novice to average modelers and those who don't really know Titanic very well.
Interesting. What kit according to you should the experienced modeller who knows Titanic get then? Because you are not giving any suggestions. It is like you are personally offended that Trumpeter did not get every single detail correct. Guess what? They don't care and no one ever will. We are a niche community. There will never be a company that will actually produce a kit that is accurate to the point of our knowledge. One of the main reasons is because unlike us, they do not have the passion for Titanic or any other ship they produce kits for. They are looking to make money. Just look at Minicraft. They have barely touched their kit in 40 years. Still the same mess it was back in the day.

With that being said, Trumpeter's kit is by far the most accurate kit available. They're the ones who have tried the hardest to get it right. There is no other kit that even comes close to it. It blows the Minicraft kit and all other kits out of the water. You can continue objecting its exsistence but all you are doing is turning people off. Instead, you should encourage the people that take it on and provide your expertise to help them represent Titanic in the best way possible. I'd rather see modellers go for the Trumpeter kit over Minicraft/Academy because even with just a few modifications they'd end up with a far more realistic and accurate representation of Titanic compared to Minicraft and Acadamy. Just imagine if someone like Art had gotten hands on the trumpeter.

Trumpeter is the best kit. Its a matter of comparing the quality of appearence of parts. Trumpeterter comes closes out of all kits, by far.

Vesihiisi

Feb 13, 2020
Work continues... Decks still not attached to hull. Today worked whole day with the forecastle.

IMG_20200227_205832.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Swezam: The best Titanic models I have seen are scratchbuilt. Trumpeter did very little research before creating this kit because cynically they knew they didn’t need to. Whether this kit succeeds or fails is a matter of indifference to me. Of the initial attempts to build it I have seen, the building skills of the modelers has been poor. The novice to average modeler doesn’t know much about the structure of Titanic so it really doesn’t matter what kit they build. The result is always the same.

Swezam

Feb 27, 2020
That we can agree on. So far no one has managed to do something special with it. That being said I think this kit has far better potential of turning into a masterpiece compared to minicraft and academy. But yes, it won’t matter if the modeler isn’t skilled enough to know how to best make use of its potential, like Art and Morten for example.

Vesihiisi

Feb 13, 2020
so Trumpeter forgot to add the wheel in the bridge which is unforgivable in my opinion on a ship this scale...
all the other bridge instruments are there except the fracking wheel...

it is also weird that they completely ignored the rigging and didnt include any rigging instructions for the ship.

maybe they come as part of the 180$ add-on you can purchase from Trumpeter....