Trumpeter 1/200 Scale

BobinMaine

Feb 27, 2020
So, after much debate (actually, no, not much at all!), I'm ordering my 1/200 Trumpeter. I have a few questions (if you'll indulge me?)
1.) I've looked at many, many models of Titanic and quite a few of them show the hull painted in a gloss paint. I believe that either a flat paint or semi-gloss would better portray the ship. The same with the super structure, a flat white (or possibly a satin or semi?).
2.) I have read that this model doesn't even pretend to have the rigging. Could anyone recommend an accurate plan?
3.) With the enclosed color chart, do you all agree with it? I just don't want to purchase a bunch of wrong colors.

Thanks for ANY input! GREAT GROUP!
Bob

Charley Smith

Jan 11, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia, USA

This Facebook group is a wonderful forum specifically dedicated to the Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic where the latest details, methods, colors, accuracy improvements are discussed

Reactions: 1 user

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Charley Smith: I hate that Titanic group. The group’s originator is its only moderator and he requires all new posts to be approved by him before they appear. I had to wait four hours to get a new post approved! I complained about it to him and he banned me from the group! There are much better Titanic modeling sites out there.

Reactions: 1 user

Major Bob

Mar 15, 2020
so Trumpeter forgot to add the wheel in the bridge which is unforgivable in my opinion on a ship this scale...
all the other bridge instruments are there except the fracking wheel...

it is also weird that they completely ignored the rigging and didnt include any rigging instructions for the ship.

maybe they come as part of the 180$ add-on you can purchase from Trumpeter....
I find it amazing that so many people on this forum have such criticism of this kit. "It doesn't have this" or "they failed to do that" is nonsense. Aren't you guys modelers? Personally, any shortcomings this model may have are easily corrected or scratch built. Personally, I have a significant library dedicated to the Titanic and her sister ships, but you don't need one. Everything I have is available online with just a little research and time put forth. The omission of the rigging was a stupid oversight, but not an "unforgivable" one...Same with the ship's wheel. No model kit is perfect out of the box, or an exact representation of the real thing. Use the skills you have developed as a modeler to get the effect or perfection you want. Most of all, use your brains in coming up with solutions to what has been poorly made, forgotten or overlooked. If you are not willing to research the model, or put the time into making it how you want, I am sure you can find a very nice carved wooden model ready to display for less than the cost of this kit.
I might add, there is absolutely no ship's wheel in either the 1/200 USS Arizona, or USS Hornet to be found. I certainly don't find that "unforgivable".

Major Bob

Mar 15, 2020
Swezam: The best Titanic models I have seen are scratchbuilt. Trumpeter did very little research before creating this kit because cynically they knew they didn’t need to. Whether this kit succeeds or fails is a matter of indifference to me. Of the initial attempts to build it I have seen, the building skills of the modelers has been poor. The novice to average modeler doesn’t know much about the structure of Titanic so it really doesn’t matter what kit they build. The result is always the same.
Most scratch built Titanic Models are 1/100 scale and larger. Find a place in your house that will accommodate something that large. Then gather all of the materials you will need to construct it, (not to mention the tools and consumables), and then scale your model from whatever plans you can acquire. Please remember to make it as accurate as possible with the exact number of rivets, proper center screw, and proper "White Star Buff" paint for the funnels. Be excruciatingly accurate in your build, and please attain museum quality precision in the quality of your finished product...because I can assure you, I will be much more demanding in my assessment of your model than even you can be.
Lastly, and above all else, try to remove as much fun from the process as you can. Discourage people from supporting our hobby or their own interests in order for your cynicism and disdain to be truly felt.
I am sure that your rendition of this kit will be above reproach. I look forward to seeing it on display at the Harland & Wolfe museum in Belfast.

Charley Smith

Jan 11, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I find it amazing that so many people on this forum have such criticism of this kit. "It doesn't have this" or "they failed to do that" is nonsense. Aren't you guys modelers? Personally, any shortcomings this model may have are easily corrected or scratch built. Personally, I have a significant library dedicated to the Titanic and her sister ships, but you don't need one. Everything I have is available online with just a little research and time put forth. The omission of the rigging was a stupid oversight, but not an "unforgivable" one...Same with the ship's wheel. No model kit is perfect out of the box, or an exact representation of the real thing. Use the skills you have developed as a modeler to get the effect or perfection you want. Most of all, use your brains in coming up with solutions to what has been poorly made, forgotten or overlooked. If you are not willing to research the model, or put the time into making it how you want, I am sure you can find a very nice carved wooden model ready to display for less than the cost of this kit.
I might add, there is absolutely no ship's wheel in either the 1/200 USS Arizona, or USS Hornet to be found. I certainly don't find that "unforgivable".
Most critics endlessly argue the best route but you'll be amazed how many never even learned to drive a car. Some people have such fragile little egos that their sole pleasure in life is tearing others down. Negativity, pomposity and rudeness is their only game. Personally, I think its sad to have so much self worth wrapped up in memorizing where light switches were located in what is in fact nothing more than a rusted out junkyard on the bottom of the sea.
My only rule in life is 'No drama queens'! Enjoy the hobby, ignore negative people and find positive venues where modelers of all levels are there to simply enjoy and help each other.

Last edited:

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Anybody can build a Titanic model any way they want. Nobody cares. But to denigrate modelers who strive for excellence is just an attempt to excuse your lack of caring what quality of model you create. Don’t be so insecure. Build a sloppy model and be proud of it!