Trying to identify ancestor on Titanic!

sarahjo

May 14, 2019
UK
Hi. I am trying to find out about an ancestor of ours who was said to have died on the Titanic. His real name was Edward (Ted) Blake and we believe he may have been around 42 years old. We thought he was younger but his sister was born in 1869 and there are no other records for a similar name born in Lambeth around that time (give or take ten years!). I can see there are a few Blakes on the Titanic but none fit with what we know! We also believe he may have changed his name, or not been registered as I think it was said that he was a fireman. I have a photo of him as a young boy but nothing more. If anyone can suggest where I might start with finding out more information I would be very grateful! Many thanks. Kind regards Sarah

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Hi. I am trying to find out about an ancestor of ours who was said to have died on the Titanic. His real name was Edward (Ted) Blake
Who actually "said" that your ancestor had died on the Titanic? That in itself might be a useful source to start your investigation. They might have more information which might not be directly related but nevertheless supply a clue about the man.

Also, are you sure he was born in Lambeth and not just moved there for work or related reason? Even seemingly trivial information can sometimes point you in the right direction.

One possibility is T. Lahy : Titanic Fireman (Victim)

As you can see, "T Lahy" was a 41 year fireman who died in the Titanic disaster. He was born in Lambeth and there seems to be quite a bit of mystery about his lineage due to marriage, divorce, estrangement etc. He appears to have had a sister as well. A change of name is quite possible in such a situation. Worth checking.

Last edited:

sarahjo

May 14, 2019
UK
Hi. My uncle and grandmother have said this was the case. He was not 42 as I mentioned before, but was quite young so was either on the ship illegally or under another name. His birth name was Edward Blake. We have now traced our family tree back to what we believe was his mother and we can see all the siblings but no mention of him! It truly is a mystery!! I can't ask any other family members because nobody else knows, and my grandmother is no longer alive.