Turkish Baths- for men only?

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
I've just been made aware - on Fb) that the Turkish baths were for only 1st class male passengers only. Is this true? I had always thought TB were for all 1st class passengers.

I'm in shock.

Mike Friedman

Apr 2, 2020
If I remember correctly, Mrs. Speddon tried one, and found if very disagreeable. And yla, I respectfully suggest you reevaluate your FB sources. And discard them where appropriate.

Nov 14, 2005
Your Welcome yla. And Mike...yes your right about that. They talk about that in that article. She said she would never do it again. Never been in one so don't know why she felt that way. Probably must have been a Victorian lady thing...getting all sweaty like a commoner...*L*

Mike Friedman

Apr 2, 2020
I've just been made aware - on Fb) that the Turkish baths were for only 1st class male passengers only. Is this true? I had always thought TB were for all 1st class passengers.

I'm in shock.
yla, you wouldn't by any chance be Aly Jones, from the E.T. FB page, would you? Besides having the same letters, just in reverse, Aly commented on the exact topic within the past 24 hours. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user

Mike Friedman

Apr 2, 2020
I'm in shock.

1586057369349.png

Mike Friedman

Apr 2, 2020

Yes, and some noted researchers post on it, such as Randy Bryan BIgham, Jim Kalafus, and Mike Poirier, among others.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
I'm shocked too. E.T. has a facebook page?
yla, you wouldn't by any chance be Aly Jones, from the E.T. FB page, would you? Besides having the same letters, just in reverse, Aly commented on the exact topic within the past 24 hours. :confused:
To answer your question No, sorry.

And I didn't know it was a Crime for anyone to answer any question within a time frame.

Mike Friedman

Apr 2, 2020
To answer your question No, sorry.

And I didn't know it was a Crime for anyone to answer any question within a time frame.

I think you must have misunderstood my question. It just seemed coincidental, since you two have the same letters in your name and you both asked a similar question recently.

In fact, there was a third coincidence - Aly Jones is also from Australia! Small world, eh?

No one said anything about a crime. Again, it seems you misunderstood me. Mentioning the time frame was just part of the coincidence, not criticism.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
So does THS titanic history society, since you are not up with it. I've found FB is more active though, then these forum sites.
More active does not mean more accurate, Aly. It depends on who's generating the activity.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Slightly digressing from the object of the question but on the same subject: In modern cruise liners, there must be Saunas and Turkish Baths or similar steam rooms. Are there separate times for women and men?

Nov 14, 2005
It sounds to me like many have seperate facilities for men and women and some have co-ed steam rooms so no need to worry about time sharing. But be careful if you search the subject. Some topics that came up about cruise ship saunas you probably wouldn't want to see...:p. Heres one of the safer blogs I found on the subject.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
According to Gunter Babler's "Guide to the Crew of Titanic", The Turkish baths and / or swimming pool in relation to using them for free were "...free for men between 06:00 - 09:00 and for women between 10:00 - 12:00."

And then to pay to use them, according to TTSM: Vol.2: The Turkish Baths were available for ladies from 10am. to 1.00pm , and for gentlemen from 2.00pm to 6pm.

Unclear if these times overlapped or if both groups were using different sources, but it's clear both genders could use them, just at different times*.

*Although the Gymnasium could be used by both between 10pm - 6pm...

Reactions: 1 users