Turkish Baths, Squash Court, and Swimming Pool never seen in movies

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I've noticed that in every Titanic movie ever made, there's never been scenes set in the Turkish Baths, squash court, and the swimming pool, which were some of the Titanic's most notable public amenities.

Is this because they would be too expensive to recreate on screen?

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I have thought the same thing. In fact, showing early flooding of the squash court and later Turkish bath would have been interesting and added to the suspense.

Likewise, I would have liked scenes of the frantic activity in the mail rooms after the collision, Hemming hearing the noise from displaced air while in his bunk, Smith & Andrews' damage assessment tour, slow but steady flooding of BR 4 from the floor etc etc.

But then they needed a lot of silly "Jack & Rose" footage to appease the 'regular' audience.

Nov 14, 2005
Actually S.O.S. Titanic show the electric bath and in the longer version also the Turkish bath.

I had missed this thread earlier. So Jack Thayer and his friend were "peeping toms"? o_O. Actually that scene was kind of funny. Lots of suggestive glances going on there too. I have never seen that movie but understand from what others have said is the version you can get today is pretty cut up and not very good.

Last edited:

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
I'd have been more interested in seeing a scene incorporating the swimming pool or Turkish Bath than the Jack and Rose "I'm flying" scene.

Nov 14, 2005
I'd have been more interested in seeing a scene incorporating the swimming pool or Turkish Bath than the Jack and Rose "I'm flying" scene.
A swimming pool scene wouldn't have caused teenaged girls to spend their money 15 times at the theater. Cameron knew what he was doing. At least in retrospect he did.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
I wanna see a new movie. It's been long over due now, 23 years . More on the officers would be great. Same story line as ANTR but the length of titanic 97 movie.

Nov 14, 2005
I would agree. It would be nice to see a well done production covering more of the actual story like ANTR. With todays graphics and special effects they could make the ships seem a lot more realistic. I dont know if a theater release would be profitable but maybe a Netflix or something like that would work. To do it justice it would probably need to be a 2 or 3 part production.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Precisely my thoughts. Although ANTR had many flaws (non-existent inauguration ceremony, Moore's 'heroic' Lightoller etc) and pre-discovery unavoidable errors (ship going down intact etc) it had the right ethos on terms of storyline. If a new film is made, I'd like the script to be in a semi-documentary style, quickly but clearly going through the steps from conception to start of the voyage before proceeding further. No nonsense about Jack & Rose type characters and with more empathy towards the passengers and crew who died. The actual events lend themselves to a very good script if only someone made the effort.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
I would agree. It would be nice to see a well done production covering more of the actual story like ANTR. With todays graphics and special effects they could make the ships seem a lot more realistic. I dont know if a theater release would be profitable but maybe a Netflix or something like that would work. To do it justice it would probably need to be a 2 or 3 part production.
Yes but more on the titanic officers than anything else. I wouldn't mind a long 3 and half movie but I'll settle for a series.
Be hard to top James Cameron's special effects it look so realistic. Do you think they can approve on his work?

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Yes, a mini-series might be able to cover several aspects related to the Titanic and also give important characters like Murdoch, Andrews. Nichols, Beesley, Buss, Jack Thayer etc more rounded personalities. Also, more time can be spent on the scenarios after the collision like flooding of the mail room, squash court, boiler room 4, Turkish bath etc.

In fact, I think it will work better than a long feature film.

Be hard to top James Cameron's special effects it look so realistic.
Yes, most SEs were very good for the time but some were really poor. Probably the biggest letdown in my opinion was the part between sighting of the iceberg and the collision; the berg appeared way too big and close right from the start. Even at a relatively slow speed of about 20 knots (I mean speed in general; I know 20 knots is quite good for a ship at the time), the "blossom effect" takes place surprisingly quickly. For the best illustration of this, look at the series of diagrams in Sam Halpern's superb research article Encounter in the Night; this can be found on his Titanicology website in the Chartroom section. The entire site is a wealth of technical information.

Nov 14, 2005
Yes but more on the titanic officers than anything else. I wouldn't mind a long 3 and half movie but I'll settle for a series.
Be hard to top James Cameron's special effects it look so realistic. Do you think they can approve on his work?
I think they could improve on Camerons work with todays special effects. That being said Cameron did a really good job in that he built actual sets and made them as accurate as he could with the time and money he had to work with. They look real because in a sense they were. Its the best re-creation of Titanic so far in a movie. Today special effects have gotten so good that now even the experts are having a hard time telling if a video is fake or not. Your going to see it a lot in the next few months with the upcoming election. There will be a lot fake videos out there that will look real. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2005
Yes, a mini-series might be able to cover several aspects related to the Titanic and also give important characters like Murdoch, Andrews. Nichols, Beesley, Buss, Jack Thayer etc more rounded personalities. Also, more time can be spent on the scenarios after the collision like flooding of the mail room, squash court, boiler room 4, Turkish bath etc.

In fact, I think it will work better than a long feature film.

Yes, most SEs were very good for the time but some were really poor. Probably the biggest letdown in my opinion was the part between sighting of the iceberg and the collision; the berg appeared way too big and close right from the start. Even at a relatively slow speed of about 20 knots (I mean speed in general; I know 20 knots is quite good for a ship at the time), the "blossom effect" takes place surprisingly quickly. For the best illustration of this, look at the series of diagrams in Sam Halpern's superb research article Encounter in the Night; this can be found on his Titanicology website in the Chartroom section. The entire site is a wealth of technical information.
A mini series would probably be the only way to do it justice. But I'm not sure about the econimics these days of getting one made. Most here are probably old enough to remember but some might not be. Back then tv networks would take a novel and make it into a mini series. The days when there were only 3 networks competing for the ad revenue. It was good while it lasted. They made some good mini series back then...Roots, Shogun, North and South and many others. But it got to the point even they couldn't afford the productions anymore.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
We never see a story line on one officer at a time. Make it all about them, wilde, Murdoch, lights, they have interesting story to tell. Not for everyone's cup of tea, but mine it is.

RileyGardner17

Riley Gardner
Jan 14, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Probably because it's difficult to justify having scenes set in them. Dining Rooms, gathering spaces, dining saloons, decks, etc. are necessary places for passengers to be. Turkish Baths and Squash courts are optional add-ons that both, in a narrative since, are flooded quickly in the sinking. It's hard to justify to a producer to build a ten million dollar set that's just going to be barely used. Cameron actually had models built of the Turkish Baths but they were scrapped due to cost and script justifications.

Film logic usually means sacrifices have to be made in terms of production design. I'm sure Cameron and Roy Ward Baker would've been thrilled to rebuild every public space they could've but if it's a choice between the Dining Saloon and the Turkish Baths, the Dining Room as a necessary aspect of day-to-day ship life will be picked every time.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I completely disagree with this view, I am sorry to say. As a 'serious' Titanic enthusiast, I have always hated Cameron's film for introducing the romantic element. I do not buy that this added the 'human touch' and all that nonsense. Not all events in life revolve around "Boy meets Girl" and I would have thought by 1997 we had realised that. The actual events that occurred on board the Titanic were 'thrilling' anyway from a movie sense and with a good script this could have been an excellent 'proper' film.

With regard to flooding of mail rooms, squash courts, Turkish bath etc, it depends on how they were depicted. All that would be required was brief scenes earlier showing the mailmen working at their posts, passengers playing squash or enjoying the Turkish bath. Collectively, those would have taken no more than 5 minutes BUT would provide an immediate human connection when the steady flooding of those rooms later - again, briefly only. The mail rooms had people working there anyway when they started to flood. A skilled scriptwriter and director could have produced very audience friendly results without resorting to fictional mush; but instead, we got Jack & Rose.

Nov 14, 2005
Well Arun I get where your coming from but on this I would have to disagree. Cameron would not have gotten his movie made without the Jack & Rose story line. He almost didn't even get it funded with that in the movie. That was the selling point. The studios didn't want to do a movie about Titanic. Its all about profit and loss. One big flop can sink a movie studio these days. If they don't outright fold up they will be bought up by others. As much as I would like to see a movie redone like ANTR even better, in todays buisness model I just dont see them taking the risk. I would bet the decision makers would probably say "Ok except for a few hundred crazed titaniacs on the interwebs whose going to pay to see this movie? Na..were not risking 2 -300 million on it." If you noticed...it seems like lately even the cheap docu's are getting worse...they dont even want to spend the money to make even those somewhat decent.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I see your point Steven and I suppose you're right. I was sounding off about how I WOULD LIKE a real Titanic film or mini-series would be like. There have been a few successful movies and TV mini-series about other subjects where there was no romance involved.