Two brothers in the crew who died on the Titanic

• Thread starter Trevor Morris Gillham
  • Start date

T

Trevor Morris Gillham

I was always told that two of my father's cousins died on the Titanic. They were supposed to have been brothers, one in the engine room and the other, I think, a steward. I have been looking for two White brothers but without success so presume they had another name. Does anyone know if two brothers in the crew did in fact die on The Titanic?

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Hi Trevor - take a look in this site under Crew Lists:

Engineering Crew - there are 3 whites listed

Frank Leonard White - Trimmer (died in the sinking)
William George White - Trimmer (Survivor)
Alfred White - Greaser

Also uner the Victualling Crew - there are 3 whites listed

Mr. L White - Saloon Steward
Mr. J White - Glory-Hole Steward
Mr. Arthur White - 3rd class Barber

Hope this helps some - Good Luck - Beth

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Trevor,

I think I may be of assistance here. I will
utilize Beth's list in my answer. You can
eliminate WG White and Alfred White from the
Engineering list as they survived. L White
was born in Australia, and Arthur White was
did not have siblings that match the other
Christian names. I believe the two are Frank
Leonard White and J White. Frank was a trimmer
and his brother was a "Glory Hole Steward"
Hope this helps.

Brian Meister

T

Trevor Morris Gillham

hi beth and brian, very many thanks for your prompt efforts to assist us. We have obtained the birth certificate of frank leonard white(trimmer) and the marriage certificate of joseph edward white (steward).Unfortunately Leonard White's father was listed as James White (seaman) and Joseph Edward's father as Richard White(coachman). J. White was buried in Halifax and came from The Isle of Wight.
It therefore appears that there must have been two other brothers in the crew which would verify my father's story that two of his cousins perished on The Titanic.
Incidentally according to an article on page 8 of the Isle of Wight County Press dated Saturday April 20th, 1912 there was a further White, named Albert White. Albert was the grandson of Mr. W. Forehead the verger of St. John's Church Sandown, (Isle of Wight) He shipped in the name of R. Morell of Southampton. He was making his first trip across and although an electrician is given in the official list of the Titanic as a trimmer. He spent most of his early days in Sandown and was well known by young fellows of his own age.
A bit of information to help researchers! Best wishes Trevor from Australia. Hope I can still find the missing brothers.

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
You are welcome Trevor -I wish you luck! - Beth
happy.gif

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Trevor,

There are several sibling pairs of varying
description amongst the crew of the Titanic, so
as you say, there may be other possibilites.
Please contact me privately as I would like
to continue to assist you.

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Becca Black

I'm looking for info re my father-in-law's uncle who was a crew member and died on the Titanic. I met his widow in 1968 in Southampton but can't remember her name, so can't find out who he was. I think her first name was Beatrice and they were newly married in 1912. She lived in Winchester Rd.

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Becca,

A quick glance at Crew addresses gives Bedroom Steward GW MacKie's address as 31 Winchester Road. According to another Crew List I have he was married, but his wife's name is not given.

I hope that may help,
Lester

D

Deleted member 173198

Trevor, Brian and Leister!

I would like to bring to your attention that Veronica Green at the Southampton Central Library has compiled a list (50 pages altogether) giving unknown names of dependant's and siblings, all are focusing directly upon Southampton with the strong connection to Titanic.

To acquire your copy I strongly advise you not to use the e-mail facilities as many messages aren't getting through to the correct department's but by sending your enclosed payment of £5-00 and an extra £5-00 which should cover the cost for postage and packing to:-
Ms Veronica Green
Special Collections Department
Southampton Central Library
Civic Centre
Southampton
Hampshire
SO14 7LP
United Kingdom

Hope this nourishes your appetite and gives you the insensitive to follow up your research further.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Jul 20, 2000
Andrew,

I would guess that those informations are taken from the Titanic Mansion House Relief [sorry if that is not the correct name] Fund booklets that I understand are held by the Southampton Library. My understanding is that they detail payments made to the relatives of those who died. As with the American Red Cross Relief Fund I understand that no names are given in these booklets.

Lester

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Lester,

You are correct in your assesment of the
Mansion House relief books. I have been
through them and, believe me, they are
far from interesting. The American Red Cross
Fund is far more informational. There are
names indicated, but there are not many details
in the notations.

Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2000
Greetings Brian,

Thank you for that. I had hoped that as with the American Red Cross Fund that the Mansion House Relief booklets might contain occupations. But I understand not? Thus in the case of Alexander Cairns all I know is that his parents William and Margaret Cairns received 4/- per week; but I still cannot establish the exact employment status of Cairns; who as you will be aware is generally listed as: and Manservant under Master Carter, not under William Ernest Carter. Thus I wonder if Cairns could have been a tutor to Master Carter? Any information you have would be appreciated.

Lester

D

Deleted member 173198

Lester!

I am still awaiting to receive my 'copy' from the Library Department myself. When I last spoke to Veronica a few weeks ago there were experiencing some problems with the publishers. However at a guest, I would imagine your predictions sounds correct although the picture Veronica was giving to me might possible include the various Census from the years 1861 until 1901. I expect more then likely some extract's will appear from the various 'Minutes' with reference to the Titanic Relief Fund.

Moreover, I am in the process of transferring all material down by hand which does consume a lot of manhours and once those entries are correctly completed, then I have the right to seek permission for copyrights so that level of information will be shared on this Board solely for the families concerned.

Andrew W.

M

Mark Eric Robert Clench

Hi Trevor. Am not sure if you already know of them, but there were two brothers who were able bodied seamen on board the Titanic. Their names were Frederick and George Clench. They were due to sail with the Olympic, but due to the coal strike in England at that time, they were transferred to the Titanic. Frederick survived the sinking, but George was lost. If you type in the surname CLENCH in this sites search engine, you will find information regarding these two brothers. Kind regards, Mark Clench. (Australia).