Two Deck Dining Saloon

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Rocky
happy.gif

Have a look at the Dining Room on the Mauretania or the Lusitania for a vague idea, if you have not already.

Best,
Eric

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Any ideas why the decided on only one deck?<<

It may have been for entirely aesthetic reasons or it may well have been to avoid some of the topweight issues which were a problem with the liners which had the two deck arrangements. The heavy woods, wrought ironwork, and stone columns may have been pretty, but they did some not so nice things to the ship's stability.

L

Luke Mack

here is my concept of the 2 deck high dining room on titanic

diningroomtitanic.jpg

Oct 14, 2009
That is quite attractive, Luke--I'll have to go back and look, but I think the Amerika's dining saloon was set up something like that, but hers was much too overdone; I like the simpler, more tasteful styling that Olympic & Titanic used.

Feb 21, 2013
Lloret de Mar, Gerona (Spain)
For all I know, the White Star Line was quite eager to make all the possible effort to make the most space for cabins. Thus they tried to reduce on "public areas" all they could. Maybe this was one of the reasons for making it like they made it.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
Also to adding to all this 2 story dining room pros and cons. I know a con. The first class dining room was on D Deck right? Well, if the bottom story was on D Deck, wouldn't the corridors and first class staterooms above on C Deck be affected by the fitting, and plus , more racket to planning the ship.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
Also , they were planning a 3 story first class dining room at the beginning of the planning with a dome , but it changed to be the grand staircase.

Cjwalker5

Apr 29, 2017
Good question! But they was no need for a 2 deck high dinning room, the room was so big it could already accommodate all the first class passengers in one sitting. The 2 deck high dining rooms on the Cunard ships may look impressive but was seen as old fashioned by the time Olympic was built. The large open spaces would of been hard to heat and It was far more sensible the use the space for more cabins or luxury facilities. D deck was also taller than other decks so it would of felt more bigger than on other decks.