Two men under the lifeboat seats Yates

Kyrila Scully

Kyrila Scully

Well, I wouldn't take my book as the final word. I wrote my information based on the best research available at the time, but we all know new information can arise to counter what has been believed as fact all these years. I will always capitulate to new and valid information.

Kyrila

C

Christina Rindt

Bravo! I really like what you said there Kyrila. Very well put. What an incentive to follow your example.

Christina

Now, bring me those new books!

M

Mark Robert Hopkins

>>I will always capitulate to new and valid information.<<

As should we all.

B

Ben Holme

Hello Peter,

I'm be fascinated to know your source for the recognition of Trevor Allison by Alice Silvey. I've never learned of any acquaintance between the two families, but they may have got to know eachother on board, or else Mrs. Silvey learned of the baby's indentity subsequently, and recalled his tiny presence in her lifeboat.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Silvey is one of a handful of first class women whose account I've never read. Others examples include Mrs. Pears and Mrs. Rothschild.

Hope this finds you well,

Ben

P

Peter Engberg-Klarström

Hello, Ben. I am quite well, thank you. I would like to think that you're well too!
As for Mrs Silvey - the information I have got comes from America. There was a short interview published in 'Fate Deals a Hand' in the Titanic Commutator in 1982 (1983?) where she described stepping on some man allegedly hiding under the seat and she thought this man might have been a gambler. I have another question for you; what exactly did Mrs Chaffee say about her escape? I have never seen anything by her save the excerpt Arne presented above.

Best regards,

Peter

R

Randy Bryan Bigham

Ben,

Peter refers of course to George Behe's article series. I think George has Mrs. Silvey's letters.

Randy

A

Arne Mjåland

Here is something Mrs Chaffee told in the newspaper article in Fargo Forum April 23 1912:
Mrs Chaffee s story of wreck:
Mrs Chaffee said that her last moment with her husband was when he pushed her through the narrow space between the rail and boat, telling that it was al right, that she would be rowed back to him in a few minutes.
No system in filling booats.
"On Sunday there had been a drill scheduled for the crew, but is was called off. For some time there was talk on deck and much running about. Then the boats began to drop." (then the story about overmanned boats which I told before).
"As we pulled steadily away, for the first time I understood the low purring sound. It was the water rushing into the Titanic s sides, and my heart seemed to stop. I began then to feel a horrible fear, and tried to make out Mr. Chaffe among the dark shadows against the rails."
Not much, I am afraid, but probably better than nothing. It does not probably throw any lights on the question about which boat Mrs Chaffee was in.
Also in the newspaper article there was the news that Mrs, Chaffee had become a grandmother around April 23 1912. A son had been born to Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Chaffee in St Paul, Winconsin.