Two Oskar Johansson's

Rachel Boland

Mar 10, 2000
Sturgis, Michigan
This is a strange entry on the survivor list. I thought at first it was just a mistake and they had taken down the same person twice, but that is not the case. One <FONT COLOR="red">Oskar is listed on the 3rd class passenger list here on ET. The other is not. I will give the info it has for both...the unlisted guy is in red...

Oskar JOHANSON (22) a married Sailor from Sweden traveling to Manitowoc, Wisconsin via Detroit (I don't understand the listing) <FONT COLOR="red"> It lists his wife as still living in Sweden

The one listed here on ET is Oskar JOHANNSON (26) lumber merchant from Sweden.

Anyone know who the other Oskar is? The last name spellings can be misleading, as sometimes they used a 'nn' on the name Johan. Being Norwegian I know this.

Dec 13, 1998
Hello Rachel, or perhaps 'hej på dej' would be accurate as well...there were indeed two Oscar Johansson on the ship, and both survived. One was Oscar Leander Johansson, who escaped in boat 15, and the other was Oscar Wilhelm Johansson, who later changed his name to Olsson (for reasons unknown). He claimed, like so many others, that he was saved on boat A (truth of this claim is unknown). Oscar L Johansson died in 1927, whereas Oscar W Johansson/Olsson lived until 1967 (I think it was...)

Best regards,

Peter

Mar 10, 1998
Rachel/Peter--Oscar L. Johansson died in 1925 (probably murdered) by drowning. He used the surname Palmquist at the time of death. On various documents that were signed or filled out by secondary sources, his middle name is given as Leander. However, I have documents signed by the man himself in which he clearly signs his middle name as "Larder."

Dec 13, 1998
Philip, thanks for the correction; I have seen both dates for his death. His birth certificate gives his middle name as Leander, however. He might, of course, have changed it later in life. In his native tongue, Swedish, 'Larder' is not a name, and means nothing at all.
Peter