Two questions for Ken Marschall re the roof of the officer's quarters

Nov 30, 2000
Mr. Marschall, can you be of help here?
I am examining Second Officer Charles Lightoller's final minutes aboard ship
as part of a research paper I am doing, and one thing that has puzzled me is that while Lightoller said he went to the starboard side at both inquireis, at the U.S. Senate hearings he said he left the ship from on top of the officer's quarters: "From amidships, a little to starboard, where I had got to."
Now one might suppose this meant Lights hadn't gotten to the starboard side at all before the final plunge (though I personally do not), but just to make sure, I hereby ask: would it have been possible for Lightoller to have taking a running dive from the ship right from the middle of the roof of the officer's quarters, or would the vents and whatnot between the forward funnel and the roof of the bridge prevented him?
Also, he noted to Senator Smith that he was "fifteen feet" away from Collapsible A and those working at it when the end came. I take it all present there would clearly be visible at that distance, especially if one was looking down from the officer's quarters roof and the boat was in the middle of the boat deck (A, of course, had not been gotten to the davits yet before the end came)?
Thank you very much, sir. I do not doubt you get hundreds of queries daily, so I thank you for your taking the time to answer this.

Richard A. Krebes

P.S. Your art is AMAZING, and, needless to say, I am one of the many patrons of it. :)

"This boat is NOT sinking yet!"
Second Officer Lightoller (Kenneth More), "A Night To Remember"

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Richard,

I'll have to duck this one and simply refer you to deck plans or a model of the ship, either of which should answer your questions easily as far as how far one spot is from another.

I am no passenger/crew historian and don't want to second-guess what Lightoller might have meant and therefore where he might have been standing.

Thanks for the kind words about my work.

Ken

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Ken Marschall? Are we talking about THE Ken Marschall?
If so, could you please mail me when you see this post? I am a great admirer of your work, and I have done a few drawings for the front cover of my book that I would like to send you so that you can re-do them for me, if it's not too much bother. I have often tried to give my paintings the realistic look that you have, but to no avail. Also, could you please tell me what media you use? Thank you.
Regards, Ryan.

J

Jeffrey Word

Ryan, yes sir, we're talking about THE Ken Marschall!
happy.gif
He's a VERY busy man and VERY rarely has time to post, but if he happens to check in and sees something that he can be of help on, you can bet that he'll pop up a post. He's an very nice guy and it's very neat to get a response from him. A lot of times he avoids emails, etc. just because SO MANY want to have questions answered by him. Keep an eye on this thread and threads that deal more with the visual aspect of the Titanic. That's where you're more than likely find him for he's more of a visual historian while Don Lynch is a passenger/crew research historian. They make one helluva team!

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Jeff... The information you gave me just now, I already knew. I'm not saying that I do not appreciate your input... It's just that I didn't ask about "Lights".
I have read his statements over and over, as these are one of the main sources of information for the part of my novel in which the ship is sinking. Sorry if you were put out in replying to me.
Regards, Ryan.

J

Jeffrey Word

Ryan that's perfectly fine! That's what I get for just scanning posts and not paying more attention! So forgive the pointless rambling.
happy.gif