Ummmm what passengers on the Titanic you find well attractive cute handsome and pretty

K

Kevin Zeniel Perez

I'd say Ruth Becker, she has this strange elegance and beauty. I don't know what it is, but whenever I look at her photos as a teen, I can't help but to gasp at how gorgeous looking she is (take note, I'm thirteen).

Urrr ... sorry if this is an offensive topic, the mods can delete it if they please

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm not sure I'd call the topic offensive. Rather a subjective matter of opinion, but hardly offensive. Perhaps one of my colleagues who has that folder would find it more appropriate for the Passnegers section though.

Beyond that, I can't say I've given it a lot of thought. Members may want to check out the Gallary of Titanic Visages which is the collection of passport photos that Phil Gowan and Brian Meister put together. You'll find links to the photos themselves at the top of the intro page.

Try not to be too frightened by them. They are passport photos after all.
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kevin Zeniel Perez

Whoa, am I completely freaked out now! However, those are some nice photos, to bad I can't find one on Ruthie.

*wonders why everyone is staring at him*

T

Trent Pheifer

If we go by passport photos, I have dibs on Dorothy Gibson, there is just something about that big bow.....just kidding! Her Pic

-Trent

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 18, 2007
There's nothing offensive about it, though many people would think of the idea as bizarre. But my view is that they were alive, they were human, and time means nothing, so find whatever passengers you want to attractive. It's not hurting anything, and at least your standards of feminine beauty extend way past what most teenage boys consider attractive.
happy.gif

As for myself, I always kind of fancied Milton Long (a guy who makes someone guess his age, because he looked young enough to pass for less than thirty, very quirky). Jack Thayer was attractive, in his younger pics (I haven't delved into shots from later years).

My preferences lean more heavily towards the crew, admittedly, and in that department, the candidates are: James Moody, Jack Phillips, William Murdoch, Harold Bride. The most attractive female from the crew was absolutely Violet Jessop. (Though I'm a fancier of the male crew, of course).

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
The problem is that most photographs are static and give us little sense of people as they were in their living and breathing totality. Some folks lapse into sulleness or sedateness as soon as a camera is pointed in their direction - according to his family, L.E.G. Oates scowled or laughed the moment he was in shot. James Moody, for someone of such a cheerful disposition, took remarkably solemn photos (I was therefore rather chuffed that, among photos in the family collection I was able to copy on the weekend, were a couple of him smiling...one is a rather good portrait of him as an adult looking quite different from the 'standard' images, with a decided smile).

Written descriptions of Harold Lowe make it apparent that he was very animated when he spoke, and there are frequent references to hand gestures and changes of expression. But what is inspirational and appealing in person doesn't always translate to still photography, and while written descriptions can capture something of the living person, they still cannot recreate breath and voice and the subtle nuances of gesture and expression. You do get some sense of this when viewing the large number of candid photos taken in his family's collection, but the totality of the individual and much of the charisma and appeal is lost with the living man.

Archie Jewell is another man who seems to have had a wonderful expression - he was a decent looking chap, but it's the warmth of his expression that makes him so appealing. Selena Rogers Cook is another person who has a face that is attractive, quite outside questions of physical charms (which is not to say she wasn't 'pretty' in either a conventional or unconventional sense). There are some people that, going by their photos, are quite plain. And yet their charm of character transcends any such considerations, and makes them truly attractive (just as some conventional beauties can be repelling).

Of course, photos don't tell the whole story...I wonder sometimes what folks today would make of the state of poor Moody's teeth, given the problems he had with them.

May 12, 2005
It is certainly a good and valid point that photos do not accurately reflect personality. In almost all personal accounts, whether published or private, Lucy Duff Gordon is described as highly animated, chatty, flirtatious yet only in a very few portraits does this charm translate.

Her beauty is regal and a tad bit icy and aloof for she seldom smiles, though smiling was done less in pictures then than now anyway. It was considered too intimate. People generally wished to project seriousness or at least a serenity. A toothy grin, as though one is about to break into song, was just not done nor aspired to at the time. The reverse is true today.

There are a few images (so far not generally seen) of "Lucile" with a mesmerizing twinkle in her eye and a smirk of a smile that hints at the fun-loving, witty person she was.

I would also like to say that of her three cinematic portrayals (two of them in Titanic films), Cameron's movie captures her personality best. She is always seen being very chatty and confidential and that was very much "her."

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
I'm always glad when this topic is reopened! I don't think this is the only thread we've had on this.

Julia Cavendish's photos reveal her to be stunning, IMO And everyone always speaks up for Dorothy Harder. Leila Meyer and Jean Hippach were both exotic beauties. Virginia Clark is often described as a beauty, though her photo in "G of TV" doesn't show it, but it looks like it could be a bad photo of a good-looking woman.

Mar 20, 1997
Among women not mentioned yet, the photo of Dagmar Bryhl (2nd Class) shows her with classic features and very intense eyes, especially with her pensive expression. One of the prettiest brunettes seems to be Bridget O'Sullivan whose picture is in Senan's book on Irish passengers. Mrs. George Harder also had classic features. Come to think of it, Mr. Harder was one of the most handsome men so they could win the title of most attractive couple.

One other woman I can think of with a stunning portrait was Ida Augusta Anderson. There is a current actress whose name I don't quite recall who Ida closely resembles.

As far as men, at the moment I can only think of ones in 3rd class. Namely David Charters and several of the Norwegian or Swedish men such as Carl Jonson and August Wennerstrom. Officer Boxhall has very striking eyes in some of his photos.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Charles Fortune was described in Hustak's book as handsome, and his photo confirms it.

For me - he's a Titanic tragedy that always stands out, probably because he was about the same age when he died as I was when I first learned something about him.

Women I covered above, though I would add all the Fortune girls to the list, as well as Nelle Snyder, based on the photo in the Eaton Haas book.

Aug 2, 2006
I always found that Bessie Allison had a rare beauty. Lucy Duff Gordons pure elegance and grace is attractive. The Countess of Rothes and Dorothy Gibson as well.

Dec 3, 2006
I always found Harold Bride and James Moody to have been rather handsome. Yes, I am a bit embarrassed saying that, but I do have to say they weren't bad looking.
happy.gif

Also they weren't too old back then, only in their early twenties. Bride was 22, right? and I know Moody was 24. But they still would have been way too old for me since I'm only 14. Hahaha.

Anyway, yes, I find these two young men to have been quite handsome.

---Kelly.

Mindy Deckard

Aug 29, 2005
I always found Ruth Becker and the Countess of Rothes to be very beautiful...

As far as *studly* men on the Titanic...I would say Jack Phillips, James Moody, and for some strange reason, Murdoch.

I also have a really attractive print of Boxhall somewhere.

D

Doni McLerran

Hmmm... this definitely is one of the more *interesting* threads I've run across.

I concur with Inger Sheil. You can't tell a whole lot from the photos we still have of them. It's like seeing old photos of my grandparents (who were born in the 1880s and 1890s) and then knowing the real people they were. All those old pictures just look so sullen and cold. No one ever smiled. They looked so serious, and sometimes even angry. Not necessarily like the real people at all. In fact, the pictures taken later in life, with instant photography or Poloroids, were more candid and true to who they were.

Aug 26, 2007
I think this is a very cool thread!
happy.gif

It is very fun to look at pictures of the different passengers. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I find older pictures fascinating because the style of them is so different from pictures nowadays.

And for me, I find Dr. Alfred Pain to have been very attractive.

D

Dana Cantu

Yay! Finally this thread lol, I was going to post something like this myself..okay so for me it has to be Harold Bride & Jack Thayer. Jack Phillips was kinda cute too, but out of them all I'd have to say Jack Thayer...just because he would have been close to my age and he's adorable & rich! lol Just kidding, but no, he's adorable!