Unidentified survivor who is she

Feb 23, 2007
hello I was wondering if the picture might be Violet Jessop? I don't happen to have one in front of me but I know that she survived two White Star ship sinkings , the Titanic and the Britanic. This would explain the uniform and the connection with Thomas Andrews the ship builder. Thanks Tom

Feb 23, 2007
As far as the Goldsmith Pictures I would have to say that they have the wrong man. As he was my Grandfather and they don't seem to bear any resemblance to him. Also, he never served in the actual service. He tried in WWII but was denied. Later during the war he worked with the Army Air Corp but as a civilian.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Tom, I've seen those photos close up. In the pic with the truck the face is still too small to identify, but in the other one the features can be clearly seen and I'm pretty sure it is your grandfather. He looks to have been 'dressing up' for a joke photo in a uniform jacket and cap which were old and frayed and clearly not his own. If I remember right it was a British or Canadian army tunic with some of the buttons and insignia missing. I'll have to dig up my notes. Obviously I can't post the enlarged scans as they are Christine's property. At that time also I spent some considerable time working with the photo of the young woman and eventually came to the conclusion (which post-dates my comments in this thread) that the most likely candidate is May Howard. I suspect that the most often-published photo of Miss Howard may in fact be that of another member of her family.

Jul 24, 2008
Hello,

It's been a few years since I've posted a comment, but the Titanic has not been far from my mind. Now that I've re-registered, I am anxious to say something! I find this discussion thread very very interesting! But wondered why it ended with Bob's 2007 supposition. Can I find other comments elsewhere?

Secondly, I wonder who the youngest female crew member was. Any teen girls? (I don't remember seeing any, and I know I can research this myself, but I just want to hear from somebody!)

Thanks,
Renae

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo again, Renae. Youngest female crew member was 2nd Class Stewardess Lucy Snape, 22 years old and already a widowed mother. She did not survive.