Unidentified wreck pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2001
Looks like a cargo ship more than a passenger one to me. Sorry, I don't recognize the photo or ship. Interesting pic though, thanks for sharing it.

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
Is it even real? Some of these "Motivational" posters, are photochopped. Water looks too calm and no debris around the sinking ship.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is it even real?<<

In this day and age of Photoshop, it's tough to tell. With a little work, I could poke around the 'net and find some photos of Britney Spears "Doing the nasty" with some other bloke that are very explicit, very convincing, and absolutely 1,000,000% fake. (And no, I won't show anyone where. We're trying to keep things family friendly around here.)

>>Water looks too calm and no debris around the sinking ship.<<

If the wreck had been there awhile, and this one looks pretty well aged, there wouldn't be any debris. Still, it looks a little too neat in spite of that.

Jul 14, 2000
This is a fake. Someone's been playing with photoshop. The lighting on the ship is all wrong, the seam where ship meets water is unrealistic, and there are a couple of holes in the ship's port bulkwark showing daylight below the horizon. You shouldn't see daylight coming through those holes if it was real. Its a very obvious fake.

Apr 27, 2005
This image is a gag shot from the Demotivators website (www.demotivate.com. It is a very funny, tongue in cheek slap at those dopey motivational posters you see sold in airports or in the catalogs in the seat pocket of your plane. I bought the calendar for my two grown kids, as they are really very dry humor and worth the expense. Visit the website and you'll see.

Dec 9, 2005
Maybe not a photoshop. The exact same picture is found on page 118 of Lost At Sea: Great Shipwrecks Of History. It has the same twisted bow rail and the same paint pattern.
The book says it is located at the Maldives Tiladummati Atoll and was sunk in a typhoon.

Google time...

EDIT:
164.214.12.145/NAV_PUBS/SD/Pub173/173sec05.pdf
There is a wreck stranded 0.3m NW of Kiltan Island . Kiltan, not Tiladummati?

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
Daniel, looks like a camera defect to me. As for the first photo:
There's this old video from WWII that shows a merchant ship sinking. I've seen that video tons of times, it's everywhere. That ship sank in almost exactly the same way as the one in the photo. It looks about the same too. I don't know what the name of ship was. I think it was called Hellenic Skipper but I could be thinking of another ship. Perhaps that ship is a still taken from the video and photoshopped onto a pro photographer's or artist's snapshot of the ocean.

Dec 9, 2005
Eric,
I doubt the bow has been transplanted.
1. It's in color.
2. The damage is indicative of a long-term exposure to salt water. If it had just sunk, the paint wouldn't have peeled off.
Also, I can't get the pic on that site to download.

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
The pic at the top of this thread looks to me like the same still of a video of a sinking British Merchantman that's in a book I have.
I can't remember the name of the ship (or the book), but it was filmed by the Germans after being torpedoed by a U-boat in WWII.

I'll try and dig it out now, but you'll have to bear with me a while. I moved house quite recently.

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
Daniel, I wasn't calling it a fake, I called the first picture a fake but not the one you submitted. It just looked like a camera defect to me. But I could be wrong. I could be looking at the wrong thing. I did see some sort of weird shape in the blue that kind of looked like a bow, though.

Dec 9, 2005
No, my bad. I was talking about the clip that you've said you saw. I was saying that it probably wasn't from the clip because of the reasons above.
Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.